Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What tranny fluid to replace Dexron III

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by IrishBrewer, Jul 31, 2008.

1. IrishBrewer

IrishBrewer Rockstar

I have an '02 Suburban 1500 that is supposed to run Dexron III but you can no longer find the stuff in the local parts stores (Autozone/Advance, etc.). They do have Dex VI (which is backwards compatible) but since it is synthetic it runs about double the price of the dino based oils. With a 14 qt capacity of the tranny the cost difference starts to become significant.

They also have multi-purpose Dex/Merc fluid but in the past, I've shied away from these.

I was just wondering what others had been using and how it seems to be performing.

Any thougts?
  2. RockHead

RockHead Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

3. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What about "B&M Trick Shift ATF" to replace Dextron III is it worth the extra money? :neutral:
  4. vegaschevy

vegaschevy New Member

after reading other in put on the site I would like to run amsoil or redline or royal purple products, but you mentioned the cost factor. And as the trans is not being removed to drain torque converter. I used the valvoline high mileage that said it was compatible with ( replaces) dexron 3/mercon. $ 5.00 quart compared to $10.00 for the synthetics. And used a lot to flush the system with the old tranny line removed thing ( two man& bucket) and an extra 4 quarts to ensure good flush. If i was startin with a new trans I would run the redline D4.
    Just finished up yesterday and she seems to be doing fine, have 80,000 miles on it. Will know more once summer hits and it jumps to 115 degrees out here.
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would use a good synthetic oil like Amsoil, Royal Purple or Redline. The Dextron 6 is overpriced IMO and I don't believe it's a full synthetic oil but I might be wrong. Gust a SWAG.
    B&M Trick Shift Oil should never be used in a street vehicle. It's for racing and has a super high coefficient of friction similar to Type F oil. It will tear up the newer high energy friction materials in today's transmissions. These new type friction materials are designed to slip.
  6. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

I would use Dexron VI. I read some articles about it when it came out and the stuff sounds pretty impressive.