what tranny will fit my 1995 1500 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by brendan90zx, Nov 7, 2011.

1. brendan90zx

brendan90zx New Member

so i decided after some research and looking into my tranny its time for a new one or rebuild, i found 2 imparticular that im lookin at locally one is out of a 1996 4x4 suburban and one is out of a 1998 tahoe 4x4, both low miles, however i am told that i can ONLY use a 4x4 tranny out of a 1995 silverado for it to work......is this true can anyone verify 100%

2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

As long as they are the same model transmission (4L60E), you should be fine.
    Good Luck and God Bless

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Idealy you will need one from a 1994-1995 since they are the only years that the 4L60e came in the OBD1 trucks. I am not 100% certain but i believe the wiring is different for any of the newer models.

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know enough of the specifics, but I've seen it said in several places on the internet (some I even consider reasonably knowledgeable) that '95 is its own year for the 4L60E. It seems that most of the issues surround the valve body and electronic shift controls (These guys point out the differences in the valve bodies: http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/gm_4l60e1995only.html). However, it's not clear to me that it would be as easy as swapping valve bodies, either, because no one ever answer with, "just be sure to use a '95 valve body, and you can use whatever 4L60E you want." If it was that easy, it wouldn't be a big deal.

If you want a simple "plug and play" replacement, you're best choice will be to stick with a '95 4L60E. If you are willing to do the research, you might find ways to retrofit other 4L60E's into your '95. At this point in my "research/knowledge," I doubt that it would be an easy retrofit if it is even possible.