Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What transmission do i have????

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by naphidim, Dec 24, 2012.

1. naphidim

naphidim New Member

i have a 1990 chevy cheyenne 262 v6 4.3ltr, tbi, it is a manual transmission, has GM8680834 stamped on it (hope this helps someone help me) but i need to know exactly what kind it is, cuz i am thinking of trying to switch it to automatic.... any info would be nice, n thanx
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. JTward1

JTward1 Member

My neighbor did the reverse a few years back. He took the automatic 200R4 out of his 87 Monte Carlo and put a Ford 5 speed in. he had to make a few trips to some junk yards and Chevrolet @Carlisle got the pedals and the linkage.

In your case it would be the reverse, I'd go to a few breaker yards, or hit some of the auction sites and get your automatic pedals and a gear indicator, I'm willing to bet your dash is already has the space for the indicator in it. The rest is just finding a column and a good 700R4 transmission for it.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'm not sure if your still looking for help on this topic, but I moved your thread here as it will garner more responses.

Good luck!