1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What transmission.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by okysmokey911, Sep 21, 2009.

1. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Alright people I am in need of some help in the transmission area. My nv3500 is about to take a crap on me which is fine because I am building my engine up to the 450-500 hp range. Obviously the nv3500 wont handle this much. What would be the best route to go for 5 spd transmissions? nv4500? any others?

I have a 93 k1500 5.7l 350
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The NV 4500 is the way to go. Granny low and overdrive so you get the best of both worlds. The other alternative is an automatic 4L80E but that would require a lot of extra work and money including an aftermarket TCM.
  3. okysmokey911

Yeah I considered going to automatic route but I kind of like having the manual. I have been trying to read up on the nv4500 and some people have said that it should bolt right up? Is this true? What about the bell housing?
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will need the matching bell housing, throw out bearing, clutch and flywheel. The clutch and flywheel may be the same but I would check that out by doing a search at AutoZone or Napa and see if the part numbers are the same.
  5. okysmokey911

Yeah supposedly the flywheel and clutch are the same. The bell housing is the thing I am having a hard time finding.