GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

What tunes should I use? Need to turn off AFM

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by slimcubby, Mar 21, 2013.

1. slimcubby

slimcubby New Member

Hi guys,

I am looking to get a tuner like superchips or bullydog so that I can turn off my AFM 4cyl/8cyl mode. I do a lot of city driving stop and go with a load in the bed and I am completely sick of dealing with the engine bogging in 4cyl mode then clunking to 8 cyl. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also want to stick with using 87 octane and maintain a descent MPG.

I have a 2010 Silverado LT 5.3L V8 with a flowmaster and K&N Full Intake.

Thanks!
    ~Slim
  2. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

As a lot of people will tell you on here. Diablo is the way to go when it comes to tuners. Very simple to use but have unless possibilities. But stepping up the octane will always help
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I concur. Key to this is that with a DiabloSport tuner you can do a custom tune without having to go somewhere to get it done. Sure it's not as precise as putting the truck on a dyno, but it's a far cry better than using a canned tune from a handheld tuner. If you want the most bang for the buck out of a tuner ... I strongly advise going the extra mile to get a custom tune.

Send @06MonteSS a PM on this forum. He's a site sponsor who does custom tunes and bundles them with DiabloSport tuners at a price that's cheaper than you could buy each, separately. He did the tunes for my truck and I'm extremely satisfied.
  4. tlc0706

tlc0706 New Member

Not to hyjack but, would a custom tune void the warranty on a new truck?
    Thanks Tom
  5. j cat

j cat Active Member

if you go to the diablo forms you will find most recommend before bring vehicle in for dealership repairs to restore the PCM programing to the OEM . this is another diablo feature.to go back to original OEM program.

give the dealership/GM any reason to deny coverage for warr. work is not good thinking.
  6. PearlWhiteLTZ

PearlWhiteLTZ New Member

:great: For Diablo... Turning the AFM off alone makes a HUGE difference. The Diablo tunes are pretty good. Adjusting shift pressures and RPM is nice too...
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

Technically, yes it voids your warranty. :). You can remove the tune and restore the factory settings though.
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

If your just wanting to turn it off, find somebody with hptuners. Pay $100.00 for the license for your vehicle, and that will shut it off too.
  9. f5fstop

f5fstop Former Member

As a retired GM service engineer, I'll let you all know that you have to be aware that ECMs/BCMs, etc. have a history log file and anytime a calibration is written to the file it remains and a tune is just another name for a calibration. Diablo says they do not leave a record if you reload your factory cal; but Diablo will not give you a written statement guaranteeing any possible repairs will be covered by them if GM denies the warranty. So, will it not leave a trace? I won't gamble.

GM requires the log file if any serious engine work is done, such as rebuild. And the Magnuson-Moss act won't help since there is plenty of data to backup a change in calibration could cause engine damage. (I say could, since chances are a good tune will not cause any problems.)

There is another alternative called a Range. It does not change the cal, it changes the signals in and to the ECM. They make three different models; two actually increase AFM mode for better fuel mileage, and one turns AFM off. (Which I believe is a good thing.)
  10. stchman

stchman New Member

Does your 2010 have a manual shift mode? If yes I've read that putting the truck into M5 will not engage AFM.

Most tuners will disable AFM, Hypertech, Diablo, etc.

Turning off AFM will really impact your gas mileage.
  11. f5fstop

f5fstop Former Member

I've read posts by many that turning AFM off does not affect mileage that much.

Like your truck...
    [​IMG]
  12. stchman

stchman New Member

Thanks, it looks like yours has the factory sunroof. I wish mine would have come with it. I am thinking of getting one put in. A shop wants $1200 out the door for the job. What color is your interior, mine is the light/dark cashmere. Your appears to be an LTZ as well.

If your truck does not have nav, I put the Advent OGM1 nav unit in and it is pretty nice.

As far as the AFM, this is the 2nd Silverado I've owned with AFM. My 2008 had zero issues with AFM (73K miles), and my 2013 only has 6200 miles but I checked the oil level before changing and it was on the full mark.
  13. bazar01

bazar01 New Member

I have a 2011. I do not have oil consumption issues as well. I change my oil at 30% oil life remaining.

My only worry is the low 40 psi oil pressure at cruising compared to the 60 psi on the non-AFM 5.3L engines.
  14. f5fstop

f5fstop Former Member

Same interior, I believe all the White Diamond editions came with the light/dark cashmere. I also have the factory Nav unit.
    My biggest problem with AFM is it kicks in at speeds too low. If it only kicked in at hwy speeds, I would not have a problem, but around town it drives me nuts.
  15. stchman

stchman New Member

The White Diamond Silverados can have black or light/dark titanium as well, just that most dealers order them with cashmere interiors as the color combination looks the best IMO.

Your Silverado I gather is fully loaded with factory nav and sunroof.

I would like to play with the factory nav and see how different it is compared to the Advent unit.

Try putting your transmission into manual mode and select 5th gear. I've read M5 turns off AFM. See if this works for you and then shift into D when you are on the highway. Remember, if you disable AFM, it will be disabled all the time.
  16. f5fstop

f5fstop Former Member

Didn't know about the interior. As for AFM, I am aware if I disable it, it will be off at all times; unless I pull the box out of the DLC (if I get the Range unit). As for M5, yes, it turns off AFM. As for hwy, on the interstate here in UT it does not remain in AFM mode that much due to the hills. I do not believe turning it off will affect fuel mileage that much in this area. If I lived in flat states, I could see it having a greater affect on fuel mileage.

Factor Nav is ok, like the interface with Onstar and like the USB port for MP3 files. However, I have used Pioneer units in my H3s. Had a AVIC Z1 in my 06 for two years, and then transferred it over to my 08 in 2008, and late last year pulled it and replaced it with a Pioneer 940. The screens and interface are more friendly, and like the direct plug into the front of the unit for a micro sd card.
  17. stchman

stchman New Member

Then it appears that your problem of AFM kicking in around town is solved. Just use M5. A tuner will cost you ~$300 (what I paid for my Hypertech).

My 2013 had the stock radio (big center knob) and quite frankly the audio quality sucked. I used to think it was a Bose problem. When I put the Advent unit in it sounded SO MUCH better over the stock one. The Advent has an equalizer. Does the factory nav unit have an equalizer?
  18. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

[MENTION=59753]f5fstop[/MENTION] , I tried a search and couldn't find anything, can you provide more info?
  19. f5fstop

f5fstop Former Member

20. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Thanks, that was an interesting thread.