Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What tunes should I use? Need to turn off AFM

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by slimcubby, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Adam @ Range

Adam @ Range Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Hey guys:
    Adam from Range here. We're a vendor on this forum now. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Adam
    Range Technology
    www.rangetechnology.com
  2. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

Do yourself (and your truck) a favor by checking out The Range Technology V8 AFM Eliminator module. Plain and simple, it works.
  3. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I am using a SCT GM preferred and it works well to turning off the AFM, DOD and many other options! http://www.sctflash.com/
  4. mellis

mellis New Member

I have a 2014 5.3 Sierra. Putting shift lever into M5 mode DOES prevent the cylinder deactivation mode. Keeping it in M5 mode keeps the truck in V8 mode 100% of the time; which I prefer when driving below 60 mph.

When I get on hwy, I push the + button to go to M6. It will then allow the cylinder deactivation to act normally. When I get off the hwy, I push the - button to go back to M5. It then operates in V8 mode, and still operates as an automatic transmission in 1-5 gears.

My question is... Does cylinder deactivation hurt the engine? I'm reading a lot of posts about oil burning. I'm considering the AFM Range in order to disable the V4 mode completely. Any thoughts?
  5. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I put the Range on my 2013 the day after it came home, new, from the dealer back in early June. I had seen tons of issues that folks had posted regarding AFM problems. Many TSB's out from GM on how to address engine issues, that seem to be directly attributable to AFM.

But the AFM thing went against everything I hate. Guess it is my upbringing, 7 years in the military, and other experiences, that make be uneasy about some cylinders working while others are out on a smoke break. I realize that the government has had a big influence on GM in the last few years, but I am not going to have my engine acting like government workers, where 4 stand around goofing off while the other 4 work. I dissolved that "union contract" in my engine and demand that when I turn on the key, all cylinders are required to "pack the gear" and work as a team. I paid for 8 cylinders, and I expect them all to work. That is how engines are designed.

I am reminded of a Star Trek movie, where they stole the original Enterprise and the new Excellsior star ship was going to give chase but conked out. Scotty is heard commenting "aye, the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". This whole AFM thing brings a level of complexity to the engines that is unnecessary and shows no appreciable return for the design cost. It was done merely to placate some government dweebs. Many who have shut it off have reversed oil consumption issues and have not experienced any mpg hit for doing so. And of all the posts I have read about shutting it off, I have never read of a single occurrence where someone regretted it.

How you go about it... tune or Range... just do it! You will not regret it.
  6. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The custom tunes are awesome, I myself was just looking to turn off the AFM system , so I went with the Range Technology device, its simple plug n play, and that's all it does, I really like mine, the truck is just smoother doing down the road.