1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What type bulbs are in my Instrument Cluster? 2006 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 Ext. Cab 5.3L

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by asa.prevost, Mar 21, 2011.

1. asa.prevost

asa.prevost New Member

I have looked in numerous manuals, searched everywhere I can look and haven't found it yet. I do believe at 2006 they stopped making 194s in the cluster. I don't believe the bulbs are 74 either. I can't match them with any type bulb I have ever seen, but then again, I may be dumb. I can upload a picture of the bulb if you guys would rather see that. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find the information I am looking for. Thanks!
  2. asa.prevost

asa.prevost New Member

Bump. Anyone know?
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I actually think it was 2002 or 2003 that GM switched from the replacable bulbs to the set-up that has bulbs soldered onto a board.
  4. asa.prevost

asa.prevost New Member

On that note, would you happen to know what type bulbs go into the solder sockets on the 2002/3+ models?
  5. JRD761

JRD761 New Member

I think 2003+ newer they can't be replaced without being soldered on.. and I don't know that it's a bulb you can go to Autozone or Pepboys and get.. Not 100% sure, but I think if a bulb is out, it needs to be completely replaced...
  6. Ugh, I just had a bulb go out behind my speedometer (07 silverado) . Looks like I'm going to have to buy a soldering iron for this one. Let me know if you find out they aren't soldered on and what bulbs they are. Thanks

P.S. If they don't have the bulbs at Pep Boys or Autozone, maybe you can find it at Radio Shack or a similar store.
  7. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

No, I dont know what type of bulb it uses...
  8. michelclim

michelclim New Member

your bulbs

2174 wire base bulbs (solder in) on pedestals this is the bulb for the instrument cluster, other bulbs such as in climate control housing are different. replace them all while you are in there. usually sell for .25 to .50 cents each. usually ten in a package.