Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What type of milage could I expect from this engine/trans combo?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Falcone, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Falcone

Falcone Rockstar 100 Posts

350 chevy small block motor with Aluminium Vortek Intake, Vortek Heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Gear Drive, Mini Starter, Crane Cam, Flowtech Headers, Aluminium 4 Core Griffith Rad, 350 Turbo Tranny with 2400 stall converter, 10 bolt posi-rear end with 411 gear ratio.

Any ideas.. trying to figure out if I could use it was my DD'er as well as toy. Mostly highway driving to work, but usually gridlock for 25 min out of the almost hour drive home, only 20 min usually in the morning due to it being 5am.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What size tires and how much of a lead foot do you have?
    With the right gearing, size tires, and driver you could concievably get into the high teens.
    Swap that turbo 350 for a 700R4 and you could probably add a few more MPG's.

3. NastyZ28

NastyZ28 New Member

8 to 10. The 3 speed trans and 4.10 will kill you. BUT IT WILL BE FUN! I have the same thing in a car and I don't bother to calculate my milage cause it sux. I actually get better gas milage TOWING the thing with a 4.10 in my truck (12 - 14 MPG). This is due to the fuel injection (precise fuel metering) and 30" tires. The car has a carb and 26 or 28" tires, depending on how it's set up at the time.

I guess tire size (diameter) would be important to help calculate MPG, cause the RPM you'll be turning dictates that. My truck turns 3000 RPM, when towing, my car turns 3500 at 65 - 70mph and is wound up like a swiss watch.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I agree with the 700R4, built up it will take a lot of abuse and will net you mid teens with the 4.10s out back. Ive seen a lot of people run that set up, with an OD tranny and it helps a lot. But it will still be a gas hog if you run it to hard.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow, it is really hard to approach what factory setups can get with EFI and electronically controlled trans with lockup in top gear.
    I'm guessing your trip is maybe 15 miles?
    It takes 1 hour to get home-lots of gridlock?
    This setup will probably suck in .8 gal/hr or more just idling.
    You will be lucky to average 10 mpg since you are in gridlock so long.
    Now you might get high teens-like TBPLUS10 said- while tooling along at 55-60 mph-hy driving- but the rest of the time you will be under 10 mpg.

Modern factory setups are just sooooo good. The stock 5.3 are over 300 hp and get over 20 mpg hy with their EFI,O2 sensors, air mass sensors,ECU, fancy smart transmissions.
    If gasoline spikes to $4 you might be sucking 4 gallons a day-$15 or more a day.
    If mpg is a concern try to adapt a stock 5.7 or GM performance drop in motor that uses a modern FI setup and trans.You would need a trans and entire wiring harness and FI setup, but there are lots of salvage yards for that. The drop in 383 vortec stroker would be tempting.

6. trophyyride

trophyyride New Member

Hi phoebeisis. I love to see that Modern factory setups. Can you post some photos of it? I really love to see it. :D

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Trophyyride- I was unclear.
    I mean literally a factory setup-say a factory 5.3 making 320 hp will EPA 14/20. A 6.0 or 6.2 will make almost 400 hp.
    I would literally try to adapt a factory setup if iI was concerned with mpg. Nothing with a carb will approach what a modern factory EFI with modern controls will get.

His 1992 might not be too tough to adapt a 5.7 with EFI-maybe the throttle body which will give better FE than a carb. Carbs are poison for FE. I would see if a Vortec 5.7 with its trans/wiring harness and fancier fuel injection with ECU could be installed. It would get 23 mpg hy easily with that little truck, but would make 250 hp-about double what his 4 cyl makes.
    Charlie