1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What type of oil to use?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jcloud, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

Hey im new to the site but im liking it alot so far. I just bought a 1998 k1500 ext cab Z71 with 180,000 miles on it and im about to do an oil change on it for the first time. The previous owner said the shop he took it to was putting valvoline in it but he wasnt sure what type or what weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin
  2. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I used to use valvoline premium 5w-30 with a K&N oil filter, I just switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic Truck & Suv 5w-30 with a K&N filter.
  3. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

alright cool. how many miles do you have on your truck though? should i switch to synethetic or no?
  4. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have around 80,000 miles. I have no idea on that one. Its probably up to you.
  5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have used Synthetic fliuds on all of my vehicles for the last 15 years. Especially the high mileage vehicels.

My '94 K1500 pickup I run Castrol GTX full synthetic (K&N Oil Filter), 10w-30 in winter and 5W-30 in Summer.

But for my '76 Impala (434cu.in. sbc) I run with Joe Gibbs Racing 10w-30 Synthetic with a Wix Racing Filter.

Whether you use standard Petrolium based or Synthetic Oils, always be sure to follow the vehicle specifications for mileage between changes.
  6. Jcloud

Jcloud Rockstar

thanks for the info. i have a oil pan leak so im gonna replace the gasket and its also leaking from the bolt so im going to go ahead and replace the pan as well. i think i may also have a valve cover leak so someday i need to change those. but i think i will run valvoline premium 5w-30 with a k&n filter
  7. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive always used k&n oil filters. They're the best.
  8. colorado_kool-aid

colorado_kool-aid New Member

if your truck leaks oil now then it will leak worse with a synthetic.
  9. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Fix all leaks now...

Replace gaskets and have peace of mind.
  10. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Change your valve cover gaskets, its easy. I did it about 2 weeks ago. I was gonna change my oil-pan gasket but the local mechanic said theres not enough clearance to drop the oil pan. He said you'd either have to remove some front end components to drop it or raise the motor a few inches. My leak is small so im not worried bout it but if it was i woulda tried it anyway. Just letn you know what i heard.