1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What type of phone service do you have"

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by Caddiac, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

I just switched from ATT to VOIPO internet phone.

So how many of you guys are using Voice over internet phone?
    Or, do you prefer the traditional phone company?
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts

I've been using comcast/xfinity for a few years now, TV, Internet and Phone. I only use the phone to call my folks in England, otherwise I wouldn't have a home phone at all.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

We live in a SMALL town with a SMALL cable company. We have high speed internet, home phone with unlimited local and long distance and cable T.V. for $99.00 a month. We use Verizon cell phone, best reception in this area.
  4. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

We are in a small little development outside Tucson that the Major players (QWEST-phone,ComcastCable,and COX Cable) have decided that its not worth the $ to bring services out here so....

We can get a traditional phone line but no DSL.....so why bother..we use Verizon cell phones. For Cable we have had DirectTV for 10 years. For Internet we use WI Power(via a dish)and its a little pricey but the plan we have is just as fast as the best DSL or cable plan or faster. In fact our home Alarm system connects to my router for service.

WI Power provides service all over the USA so if you live in an area where you cant get DSL or cable I recommend it.

http://www.wi-power.com/
  5. oppelousas

oppelousas New Member

I have ATT here. Phone, TV, Cell phone, and DSL internet. I like this service and have had it for 8 years so far. :happy:
  6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts

been using ATT since 2002, never a problem.
  7. marko54

marko54 New Member

Me too, Have ATT and like it, First one in my area to get U-verse TV. On my second Iphone with ATT, first the 3 now the Iphone4 and never had a problem with the internet down or TV down.
  8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member 1000 Posts

We recently switched our home phone over to VOIP. Ooma is the name of the company and you can buy their hub which attaches to your wireless router. Once you pay the $250 for the hub, and hook-up your cordless phones, there are no monthly payments. You can use a credit card to charge overseas calls, but there is no charge for normal usage. If the power goes out, we use our cell phones.

Had the service for over a year now, and no problems with it. You can even get your voice mail online and forward calls to other phone numbers if you're away. The only issue I ran into is if you want to keep your current phone number, you have to wait about a month for it to be transferred over. We opted for a new number so not an issue.
  9. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

So you paid for the hardware and then there is no fee? Cool. I paid $187 for 2 years service and they provide the hardware. Works out to about $8 per month the monthly fee goes up if you pay one year. But yours is a better deal in the long run. I kept my phone number but when AT&T ported the number, they also cut off my DSL line. After 2 weeks they told me it would be another week to get it fixed and kept insisting the problem was in my house. So I switched to Charter internet. They are twice as fast as my DSL line which after the first year would have gone up to $60 a month.
  10. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member 1000 Posts

The best is you're getting the same type of phone service as you get from Cablevision and other big cable providers, but you're not paying for it. Also, if you buy it from Costco, you can return it if you're not happy.