Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What wiper blades do you recommend and does rain x ruin wiper blades?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by PantheraUncia, Sep 16, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have used everything from the cheap $3.xx Anco wiper blades to the $25 wiper blades and I guess the $24 wiper blades seem to hug the windshield better and last longer than the Anco's, but either way, I have always liked Rain X because there are times (at least here in NC) where the rain will be coming down so hard that even with the wipers set to high, they just can't keep up with the rain that is falling. So 3 questions:

• Which wiper blades do you recommend?
    • If you used Rain X, did it ruin them over time?
    • Where you able to restore the wiper blades if Rain X messed them up and if so, how?

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Currently have cheapo blades on the truck but front and rear windows have Rain-X treatment and I use a wiper fluid from Rain-X. Might get Rain-X wipers this weekend because they are on sale. Just the treatment stuff works amazing but would love to try their wipers.

3. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have been partial to Bosch. They seem to last longer than the AC Delco or whatever factory puts on lol

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on Rain-X treatment. I use the Rain-X all-season windshield washer fluid and also use the 2-in-1 Rain-X glass cleaner on the side and rear windows. Good stuff.

5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 on the Bosch blades.

6. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Which rain x fluid is it, I remember when it Rain X fluid first came out, there were allot of problems with it because over time it would clog the fluid motor and fluid tubes causing the pump to run harder and eventually die.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I named which fluid it was when I said it the first time around: "Rain-X all-season windshield washer fluid" :)

8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Currently I use the rain-x bug cleaning fluid because in new England during the summer u constantly hit bugs. And I treated the mirrors and side windows as well just need to treat them again because its wearing off with out being reapplied every time I clean the window.

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have always had luck with wiping the blades down with rubbing alcohol. I do it everytime I detail my truck. It keeps them clean, they wipe better after doing it, and they seem to last longer. I noticed that if I park outside near a tree, the blades always wipe like crap after, I think it is due to tree sap and other particles sitting on the blade. I wipe them until they are clean and the performance is restored. I don't know that rainx would actually ruin your blades unless you let it sit on them for a very long time, as it is basically just denatured alcohol. In a pinch I have used the rain-x to clean my blades and they performed just fine.

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Just yesterday I swapped out a set of very old and chattery Rain-X wiper blades on my Saturn for a set of Bosch blades. I would have loved to have put Bosch Icons on, but at $25 a blade, I can't afford it. From what I've heard the Icons are the best on the market.

On my Suburban I put the cheapie Valucraft blades on because they rot from the sun and not being used before I get any decent life out of them. I do have Rain-X wiper fluid in the 'burb. I really didn't notice a difference in performance, but I suspect the washer fluid works best when used in conjunction with regularly Rain-Xing the windshield.