1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What works and what doesn't?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by chevymon, Sep 29, 2009.

1. chevymon

chevymon New Member

So is the tornado air charger really worth getting? does a high flow air sensor help enough to justify getting it? also are wheel spacers an inch and a half going to mess up my pulling ability?
  2. IThurstSObad

IThurstSObad Rockstar

spacers will give you more sturdiness and make your truck seem less top heavy.(if its lifted) also when you go around corners with will handle better beacause of your wheels are spread wider apart.
  3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've never heard anything good about the "Tornado", but some people may sware by it. Good luck!
  4. bradfordpoole

bradfordpoole New Member

A spacer on a Vortec engine will show VERY VERY little improvement. Just a high pitch whistling noise.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

what works and what shiot

Your stock MAF will flow enough air for just over 400 hp power. Everyone including myself who has tried the aftermarket MAF sensors has removerd as they just dont work and in many cases make the truck run worse. The tornado, smoke and mirrors dont waste your money. One of the best ways to pickup a few HPs and MPGs is to switch completely to sythics oils (engine,tranny, front and rear diffs and some transfer cases).
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The tornado seems to be a load of crap. Hi flow MAF, same thing.

Wheel spacers will give your truck a wider stance, at the potential costs of wheel bearings. Front wheel bearings on a 4wd are particularly succeptible to failure. There is an impact to the rear bearings also. This could be a factor for heavy loads and/or towing. If this is a work or hauling truck, I would not do wheel spacers. For performance, I would do a very thorough tuneup including AC Delco plugs, cap & rotor (if your truck takes them), primary O2 sensors. Napa premium wires, Napa Gold air & fuel filters.

Also service the TB, MAF, IAC, and Seafoam the top side. More info here.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25593&highlight=induction cleanup

After everything is back to new, invest in a good custom tune.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I had a granetelli MAF "tuned" for CAI and I put the stock one back on after about a year and a half. Never really noticed much difference and it actually started to consistently throw codes for running too lean if I used cruise control. switched back to stock and havent had any issues.
  8. jbfireemt

jbfireemt New Member

I haven't heard the about bearing problems before with spacers but it's good to know, thanks 2COR517! But, make sure you buy a good custom spacer that is hubcentric so you don't put all the stress on your lugs. i'm not pushing a specific brand, not really anyway, but i researched spacers for over a year before buying. i finally found www.motorsport-tech.com this is a shop in cali that makes customs spacers for cheaper than a generic one. you call them, give them your info down to the milimeter, they make them and for around $280 for 1.5 inch set. check them out before you commit. the owner even answered my call and took a lot of time helping me out. gotta love american made products with american service!