1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What would cause my fuel gauge to read empty when it is full?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Mrcrowley, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Mrcrowley

Mrcrowley New Member

2001 Chevy Silverado 3500 1 ton dump
    Duel tanks one relay for pumps both tanks have FSU .
    What I have done :
    I have problem with the second tank pump not pumping for some reason. I know this because ran out of gas at half full on the fuel gauge.AND I went to fill tank and second tank was full to test theory I ran truck for 100 miles and fill primary tank and the second tank would not take any fuel it was full.
    I have tested grounds for sensors and for the pumps all are fine.I ran test leads to the second tank for the fuel pump and it ran . The second tank feeds the primary tank through the over fill hose on primary tank.Both pump leads on primary and second tank are at @5.88 volts when key was on accessory but did not change when I cranked it over.This truck only has one relay for fuel pumps according to parts dept at Chevy dealership so I am assuming the pumps run at same time even flow type system.What would be the correct way to test the sensors on each tank? I have have fluke volt and ohm meter just need to know the correct readings for each sensor?
  2. roger97338

roger97338 New Member

Blown fuse. Broken sending unit. Fuel siphoning bandit. Looking at your gauge cross-eyed. All are possible causes.
  3. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 New Member ROTM Winner

:rofl::rofl:
  4. 05bluebeauty

05bluebeauty New Member

fuel pump also might be bad, had the same thing in my s10 back in the day and replaced it and it was back to normal
  5. J_chevyman

J_chevyman New Member

re

Fuel pump...same deal with my 2001
  6. ADrooster

ADrooster New Member

its most likely a sending unit