what would you guys start with ~ 2000 Silverado Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by bronx boy, Apr 21, 2011.

1. bronx boy

bronx boy Rockstar

i got a 2000 silverado 1500 4.8 auto 4wd from my best friend with 8400 miles on it.its oil has been changed a few times.also had three batteries.it was for free so far its cost me only a few hundred foer light upgrades trailer hitch and step also new stereo.what kind of maintenance would you guys be looking to do on it. 0319111033_0001_0001[1] - Copy.jpg

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

8400 miles? or 84,000 MIles???

3. bronx boy

bronx boy Rockstar

no bud you saw it right 8400! miles .my friend bought it new in pa. the dealer put on commercial plates .when he came back to the bronx where we live he could not be botherd to put reg plates on it.so in the bronx commercial plates are a pain in the butt. restrictions every where. he drove it to go hunting and a few times to home depot.thats it it just sat there.then his wife got real sick long bout with cancer. and he had a bad accident constuction lost half his foot.so for the past four years it just sat.in his yard. his settlement just came .he bought a 2011 1500 crew cab .i gat a call around thankgiving he asked if i wanted it i said if its for free its for me.so here it is.

4. jbjones240

jbjones240 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would engage the 4wd to make sure that it is working properly.

-JJ

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Being that the Truck is....11 yrs Old.....I would look at doing the Following, if it has not been done already,
    .....Flush All Fluids.....Oil...Trans....Coolant....Brake...Rear Diff....Steering,
    .....New Filter's......Air....Fuel...Oil...Trans
    .....Check All Belts and Hoses and.....Replace if needed.

Also if the Tires are the original ones that came with truck when New.....Again being....11 yrs old.....check for cracking on the sidewalls and in between the tread....even if they don't show any signs cracking.....I would still look at Getting New Tires.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what Mike said. Even though its only got 8,400 miles it has time, eleven years. Parts deteriate. I would change all the hose's, belts, tires. I would use a protectant on all the rubber around the windows and doors, I'm sure there dry. Don't forget the transfer case fluid.

7. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

How does it run?? Cap rotor plugs???

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x2.....on what Blacksheep has mentioned about the Plugs, As the Truck has a.....4.8 Liter V-8 it has no Distributor,instead individual Coils one per Spark Plug,

the Plugs to go with are the.....A/C Delco Iridium Tip Plugs......as the Vortec Engines Run & Perform Better went A/C Delco plugs are installed.......if you do go with the A/C Plugs, they are gaped right out of the Box.....check the gap to be Sure, But Do Not attempt to Re-gap them as the Iridium tip can Be Easily Damaged.....
    and for plug wires again A/C Delco will do the job.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I forgot, grease all the suspension fittings.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

Del....we just keep adding items, but I think will finally have almost everything Covered...:lol:......But someone will most likely have something else to add to the list....