1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What year is this truck??

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by the phantom, Jun 1, 2014.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Look at the wheels, she's a dually, meaning 1ton or better. Probably originally had a flat bed or some type utility bed, maybe a wrecker bed.
    The bed wouldve been aftermarket from some type of upfitter so records on type bed might be non existant. Unless you can find a previous registration that might list a classification.
    The emblem under the GMC badge on the back of the hood will signify the weight series, i.e. 3100, 3200, etc.
    It looks to have the larger back window which dates it in the 50's, the split windshield dates it around 51 or 52.
    1953 and up on that body style had a solid windshield.
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Open driver's door, on the door frame, between the door hinges there should be a metal plate. The trucks VIN (serial number back then) should be on this plate. Get that number and we can figure out the year.
  3. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Yes I do but it wouldnt be sitting in this vacant land I got at a foreclosure if it looked like that. Sweet bed and rear fenders on that bad boy I like it.

Yes the engine is there but I didnt open the hood because I dont quite own it I guess you could say. I have to wait until I dont hear anything from the original land owner for 30 days before I can do anything with it.

under the GMC it says "250"

All the glass is there but it looks real wierd around the edges like something got into the glass. Yes its in NY

Yeah thats pretty sweet also.

Next time I stop by the property(probably this coming weekend) I will check it that out. there was nothing on the windshield at all but didnt really look any farther. The interior is a bit rough. Heres a bad pic I snapped real quick of the interior. 0530141917a.jpg
  4. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

I'm betting that truck will run with just a little love! The blinkers on the fenders are original ! And its a split window!!!! You got a find, there, buddy!!!!!!
  5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

[MENTION=54154]the phantom[/MENTION] What other vehicles did you find on the property?
  6. the phantom

There was what looked to be a 70's or 80's ford f700 0530141947.jpg , a horse trailer, and an older box van. pretty much scrap to me. The horse trailer might be worth something if it can be registered ever again. 0530141909.jpg 0530141945.jpg
  7. zuki82

zuki82 Member 100 Posts

Keep us posted about what happens! I'll take the horse trailer if they don't come and get it!
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The foggy white stuff on the edges of the glass is delamination.
    Prior to mandating the modern safety glass that's now used, mfgrs used a dual pane glased glass that would shatter or break out in large pieces during an accident.
    Sometime in the late 50's some mfgrs went to modern safety glass which has plastic lamenated between the glass sheets. The goverment required all auto mfgrs to use modern safety glass in the mid 60's.
    Some states (not All) require the older glass to be replaced prior to issuing safety or inspection stickers.
    The glass normally follows the same rules as seatbelts in older vehicles.
  9. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yeah, that horse trailer should still be viable. Just some sand blasting, painting and new tires...she'll be good as new!
  10. the phantom

One of the indications I have that all this stuff might be left abandoned is the couple that owned the property split up I guess from what a nieghbor of the property said. The satellite veiw of the property is a few years old and all the vehicles are in the satellite view. Taxes havent been paid in 3 years so Im assuming that they have just left everything. Oh yeah I forgot theres a boat left behind also that has a 85hp johnson outboard on it. The floor is all rotted in it but everything else looks intact. Ive sent a letter to the last known address but the nieghbor of the property told me they dont live there anymore and that they lost the house in bankruptcy when they split. Im not the type of person that enjoys or goes looking for peoples misfortunes to profit myself but it is what it is I guess. I gave the nieghbor my number if he sees the previous owner but from what I gathered from the conversation I had with him he hasnt seen him in some time.