Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What years is Duramax best?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sqdqo, Mar 14, 2009.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo New Member

Through the years the Duramax has been offered which year(s) has provided the best fuel economy/power? What effect has the emissions regulations had on fuel economy and power?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I do know this a year before they put the emissions law in effect, I had gotten wind of the whole thing and ran up to the GMC dealer to put an order in for a new Topkick. The dealer told me that Monroe Truck Conversions had a pre-order in the amount of thousands of those old duramax motors, they must have known something I didn't know. They were all sold out a year in advance, other than the one's that were already produced in the dealer lots and at the assembly plants. That's all I know on the subject,.............AMY
  3. sqdqo

sqdqo New Member

TRPLXL2, Are you saying 2003?
  4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The new LMM is a great engine, but the downside on the LMM is the trucks have the diesel particulate filer for emissions. The DPF makes the truck drop a few MPG over lets say the LBZ that proceeded it.
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

EEK, 2006 Brother!

Seriously,
    First of all, you would be happy with any Duramax. LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM.
    Here is a LINK to the Wikipedia page explaining the specs for all the years.

The 2006-2007 LBZ had the biggest improvements from the previous years and then came the LMM which is rated a smidge higher in HP (360 vs. 365) and ft. lbs. of torque (650 vs. 660) but has some serious emissions installed. The LBZ and the LMM would be the best choice so it's really up to the body style (LBZ-2006/2007 Classic, or the LMM-2007.5/2009 NBS).