1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What you think I should pay

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by rileyjr16, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

WHY DO SHOPS TRY AND MILK YOU FOR AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY POSSIBLY CAN?! I SAID LOWER BALL JOINTS CHANGED. NOTHING ELSE. No uppers, tie rods or alignments done. NOTHING BUT LOWER BALL JOINTS. So when the expert comes in and said I need this this and that...I KNOW! I just said LOWER BALL JOINTS THATS IT. I ALSO APPRECIATE BEING LIED TO SAYING IT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF TO DO IT WHEN I GAVE YOU THE KEYS...NOT 6 HOURS JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A "NEW" GUY BUT ALSO BECAUSE THIS IS BAD AND THAT IS BAD. YOU WILL NOT SEE OUR BUSINESS AGAIN GONZALES TIRE (Louisiana people). YOU WANT ME TO PAY 1400$ FOR STUFF I DIDN'T WANT DONE...I DON'T THINK SO. AND IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW, I USE MY TRUCK FOR WORK...NOW I CAN'T GET TO WHERE I NEED TO GO. AND DO WHAT I NEED TO DO TO MAKE MONEY! ALSO THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME WAKE UP MY BROTHER TO COME GET ME AND BRING ME HOME. I'M SURE HE REALLY APPRECIATES THAT.

Now, rant is over, what do you guys think I should pay for this? $1600 like they want to replace the tie rods, both uppers and an alignment which I can barely afford of the first price I was given of 400$ for just the ball joints (I bought my own with the intention of pulling the lower arms off and bringing them to have them pressed in)? Tie rods I can do myself for basically free since my brother has a set of brand new ones that have never been on his truck (also a 99). And uppers I can order and do myself. I was close to telling them f you put everything back together and I'll take it somewhere else which I should have done. What should I really pay?

:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

First things first... do you have a copy of a work order? I know in my state, they are not allowed to go over the written estimate without contacting you first. I would simply tell them "I did not ask for all of that other stuff to be done, therefore, I am not going to pay for those services. You may put my original parts back on and ensure that my vehicle is in identical condition as it was when it came in here (less the work I contracted you to do), or you can leave it as-is and I will accept it as it is." If they give you and crap, use words like "State Attorney General's Office"... They like that a lot!

Shops cannot afford to stay open on oil changes alone, so they have to up-sell you products and services. Usually they will find something it needs, but oftentimes, they just make stuff up. It is up to you to decide whether or not you need or want that additional work to be done. I have a buddy who works in a shop that recently changed ownership. the new guy sells everything under the sun to his customers, needed or not. He works up a bunch of services for their vehicle before it has even been brought in the door. He has no idea that it needs any of that stuff, but the customer is usually happy to pay for it and even happier that the "shop found that it needed to be done". His customers are loyal to a fault and believe that he "looks out for them" while he is reaching into their pockets and robbing them blind. My buddy hates working for people like that and I can't say that I blame him.

My local Chevrolet dealership tried to pull that crap over on me. I took it in for an intake gasket (The dreaded Vortec Dex-cool failure). They tried to charge me additional for an oil change, coolant flush, brake fluid flush and about 10 other things. It turned into a shouting match with the service manager all but throwing my keys at me in the end.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like an experience my neighbor had with a Brakes Plus location. Stemming from a visual inspection (wheels off) they told her that all they thought she needed were new brake linings but would know for sure once a "full inspection" was completed. Once the full inspection was completed, they told her she needed new everything (about $1,200 worth). Additionally, the full inspection was supposed to take an hour actually ended up taking over 4 hours even though she did not have any work done. And to make matters worse, she had her twins who are only a few months old. She was livid to say the least. After doing some online research, she found another place with good ratings and took her van there the next day. Sure enough, she just needed her linings replaced. She also looked up the Brakes Plus shop and found a ton of consumer complaints about them ranging from over-charging to selling/installing parts that were not needed, and taking a long time with the vehicle as a ploy to get you to go ahead and agree to the more expensive service since you've invested so much time there already. Although it sounds like you really need the work done vs my neighbor who didn't, it still sounds like some of the same tactics to get you to spend more money.

-- Please note that I am referring to a specific franchised Brakes Plus location only, not the entire chain.

If you don't trust them, then you should probably either have the work done someplace else or, since you have some of the parts and sounds like you can do most of the work yourself, then your best option for you is go ahead an do it. $1,600 sounds like a lot of money to me to have that amount work done.
  4. rileyjr16

@moogvo, I went over what I wanted done and I watched him write it down.

This gets MUCH BETTER. I pulled out and went to Oreilly's to return the ball joints they didn't use (they used MOOG, ok with that as MOOG is the best IMO). Turn out of Oreilly's and my left tire starts squealing coming from the wheel bearing, my ABS light pops on and it gets worse as I pulled in (stores are 100 yards apart) and go right back in and hand the guy my keys. They put it back on the rack, shake the tire, move the tire, and "FIX" the situatuon. Pulled out, still doing it...pulled back in telling them to fix their &^(@up and they want my money, all 180$ thats left in my account to fix their &#%)up...DON'T THINK SO, I want my money back, "well we can't do that". Took the truck home fuming and listening to a squeal the whole 8 miles. Needless to say, will not be going back there. BTW, they wound up charging me 650$ after correcting themselves from 800$ for my inconvenience. A hell of alot better than the 1600$ they wanted for the crap they shouldn't have touched or even said anything about

My brother has a wheel bearing he took off of his truck (preventative maintenance at 200k miles; 51k miles ago) as a temporary replacement until funds can build back up. But it just started pouring down rain and it'll have to wait till I can get some form of fatherly help. Heavy duty tied rods are going on sometime this week and an alignment will be done at Treads&Care.

On a little bit better note, have a job offer that can pay for this crap. All I gotta do is call.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts

Sorry...I misread your post, I did not realize that you already had the work done. Glad they gave you credit.
  6. rileyjr16

The only reason they gave me credit was the guy who I was yelling at, my 1st cousin who just passed away, her significant other is 1st cousins with the guy.
  7. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts

Riley , make that call and get that job. Let them know you have a family get together in advance so they understand you will be out of town.

I would still file a complaint with the consumers affairs office in your state and see if they have similar complaints with the service garage.