1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What your opinion on the new Ford EcoBoost

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Conlan Rose, Jan 8, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, there's been alot of these commercials about this new 3.6L V6 EcoBoost engine in the F-150. Personally i believe a full size truck with a V6 isnt a real truck, but id love to hear what you guys think about it. A real truck is supposed to have a V8 not a small V6.

2. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years GMTC Chick 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just saw that commercial during the football game. LOL I wouldn't ever buy a FORD, but they say FORD is still the best selling pick up truck in North America since the "dawn of time". But like we talked about the Chevy/GM concepts and future cars, they are trying to appeal to everyone, and "eco" "environmental" and small cars are the in thing and the way of the future. You have to admit, that a V8 burns a lot more emissions, gas and cost more to own, but people that need a V8, V10 or dually, will spend the money to own and maintain one.

This is what Autoguide says: "The Ford F150 PLATINUM has 3.5L Ecoboost V6. With 365 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque, the Platinum never lacks for power, and displays minimal lag during acceleration, all the while making cool turbo noises more reminiscent of a diesel-powered pickup truck. 17 mpg in mainly city traffic, 90 percent of the Ecoboost’s torque available at 1900 rpm, grunt is never lacking, 3,060 lb payload capacity or the 11,000 lb tow rating, 1,500 more then a 5.0L V8"

So, really, if you are an "eco-friendly person", who wants a pick up truck and doesn't want to buy a big V8, V10 or anything like that, then I guess that is your choice. Don't let the Eco-boost fool ya, they aren't ECO-FRIENDLY for your wallet.. Starting at like $60,000 ( $1,600 more than a Porsche Cayenne)..

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The real answer is in the HP, torque, and MPG numbers, this is where people will look for their decisions.
    Remember what we classify as real trucks those old work horses from the 60's on up normally had around 260 to 300hp and 200ft lb torque for a small block V-8 and hardly ever over 375hp for a big block this truck beats those numbers by a long shot while getting better mileage.
    The baddest muscle car on the block in factory form back in the day was lucky to reach 365hp, SS Chevelles were only pushing 365 with an optional intake package and they got 12mpg at best.
    This really isnt an eco friendly issue from my perspective, its HP and torque, with numbers like that you can expect this truck to pull a 6500lb trailer and return decent mileage with a lower insurance rate because it's a V-6 . The game is changing, GM and Dodge had better have something equally impressive in the wings or they will suffer. You dont have to like Ford to realize their taking adavantage of technology and global issues to force a change in the way trucks are built. And in the end it reallly is better for all of us we benefit from the competition between the big three with better trucks.

4. grape2

grape2 Member

I guess it depends on what it is used for. I had a 2.5l 4cyl 5 sp Dakota that I put about 45-50k miles. It did what I needed to do, haul stuff to remodel the house. I had two cars with turbos and not sure I want to go through that again. One failed at 17000 miles, 700 for a repair. I agree that v-8 and turcks seem to go together, but they say about 45 percent of F150 were 6 cylinder. I was really suprised it sold so well. When I worked at Dodge everyone wanted a Hemi or Cummins could not give a 5.2 away.

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

i have to agree with grape2 about the turbo they can fail and then that little V6 is useless and GMCErica i didnt relize the EcoBoost was that expensive thats insane. rather have the cheaper V8.

6. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i know some people may want the v6 option with the turbo, and turbos are fun they do make cool noises, but in my mind a turbo is used for 1 of 2 things a car that you want to go fast or a diesel truck. thats just me though, my truck is my first V8 and i dont think ill ever be able to go back to anything smaller. and the fact that every 6 cyclinder vehicle ive owned ive blown up

7. grape2

grape2 Member

Turbo may be the new choice of engine power, just read the Cadillac ATS will offer a 2.0L turbo. I read GM is working on new engines for thier trucks but that is about all they had to say. I don't know if GM offers this or not but the only way to have 4cyl truck is the HEMI with multi cylinder deactivation, 4cyl at crusining speed and all 8 when you need it.

8. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

It is still a f&$@ right?
    They sell more as they sell a lot of fleet at low end and recover the costs in replacement parts.
    That is their game.

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You can get an ecoboost in an XLT for $30K. it is a $2K option.
    the top of the line Platinum is $60K yes, but you will pay that for a loaded out GMC as well. I am a GM and Ford fan. I have driven the new ecoboost (my buddy has a new 2011 FX4. let me tell you that thing is crazy for power, at no point and time did that truck ever want for more. And pulling 17 in the city the way he drives is awsome since my 345hp Dodge ram gets 14 on a good day on the highway.
    I just know that GM needs to step it up alot (in my opinion) to catch up to ford. that 2011 was more solid, has alot more power, better milage, more comfortable, and well just felt better built than the 2012 GMC Sierra i test drove 2 weeks ago. As to the cost, yeah there is no such thing a a cheap truck anymore.
    As Tbplus said there is nothing wrong with competition, and will just make all three better. Ford hasnt been the number one selling truck in the country for a long time for no reason. Dont get me wrong i LOVE chevy, and will own another one when i can afford a toy like a truck.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Ford sells less fleet now, they have been getting away from that due to the loss of profit. My company and most up here buy GM. As to the reliablity i have seen fords and Gms break just as often and cost just as much to repair.

10. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I haven't looked at current sales yet, but Henry's company sold more to government fleets during the" bailout" era. They may be changing there approach now as profits fall. But previously they sold cheap only to count on own parts purchases. In all fairness I know a few owners of brand x who are completely satisfied with their trucks and have had their trucks to the dealership less than I have. But my deep seated loyalty to the Bowtie is hard to let go. But if the new Bowtie organization continues to evade responsible behavior I may have to get a regular tie and drive brand x.