1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What your opinion on the new Ford EcoBoost

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Conlan Rose, Jan 8, 2012.

1. sgtsjj

sgtsjj New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

your truck is already rusting??? does it have more rust on it than my 99??
  2. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Heck I already replaced my rear bumper at 3 months. Dealer said it was cheap Chinese steel. Duh everything is from china now, isn't it?:neutral:
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a fair amount over the rear wheels.. all surface over the rear wheel wells. otherwise there isnt anything.
  4. Coach24

ok I went to look at the eco ford tests and while they are pretty favorable for Fo*& I wonder if the guys in the Doge and Chevy were fom GM and Chrysler. Head to Head left too much room for questioning in my opinion.
    How do we know each had the same exact weights and equipment. The 5.3 with a 3.42 rear end isnt built to take off and get to sixty fast. Why not use a chev with a 3.73 or 3.92 ratio?
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/2011/experiencef150
  5. murdog94

That comparison isnt what i was using for a comparison, and i actually used the Truck of the Year from motor trend, which they were equally set up, and the Ford still walked on them. Trust me i have said it before but GM needs to get their head out of the clouds and start putting some technology into the power train. 315Hp from the midlevel engine (5.3L) isnt nearly the 365HP from the eco boost or 360HP from the 5.0L in the ford. i mean they are making 306HP in the std V-6 engine from ford. I just wish GM would try to keep up. 50HP is alot. And i have driven both trucks (ram just doesnt turn my crank) and the ecoboost was insane compared to the 5.3L. As i said GM hasnt done anything in 5 years to really update. yes they may add a couple of electronic gadgets but when i talk about technology i am refering to the powertrain, and ways to make the interior feel a bit less plasticy.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That was my point on my previous post. Many truck owners that depend on trucks to make a living arent interested in a lot of shiny new gedgets, they want useable horsepower, when the blue oval is beating mid level V8 performance with a V6 that gets better mileage that is a concern that will sway truck buyers, most of us may be dedicated to our trucks but lets face it we dont depend on them to make our living, if more buyers are buying brand X it becomes harder for GM to catch up as they get further and further behind in mechanical technology.
  7. Strino78

Strino78 New Member

An aquaintance of mine is a well driller and swears by his Fords. He has the EcoBoost turbo V6 in his latest truck. He says hands down the EcoBoost out performs his 5.4L Triton in pulling his 29 foot enclosed trailer full of tools, and its easier on fuel by a long shot. I can't verify his claims but he says he used 1/4 tank less fuel pulling the same trailer the same distance with both trucks. Not sure if '05s an '12s have the same size fuel tank though.

I'm not taking sides with anyone because I honestly believe a vehicle is only as good as the maintenance it recieves and how well its treated (or beaten). Its always been easier for turbos to make more power with minimal investment. Something as simple as an adjustable wastegate and bumping the PSI up a few pounds could net incredible numbers. When aftermarket tuners start dumping R&D money into the EcoBoost platform to develop parts, these trucks will be all over the place.

Similar to how the big trucks are going: big motor + big turbo = power output of an even bigger motor. It won't be long before GM starts deploying this stuff in their product line.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. 747

747 New Member 100 Posts

I have heard great things about the ecoboost. It has lots of power, and its reliable. But I would never own one, its just a political scheme. In my opinion, forced induction will NEVER replace displacement, and less moving parts is always better. And the most important part of all, the v6 lacks passion! Nothing gets my blood flowing like the sound of a V8.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  9. Coach24

I understand they are making amazing horsepower. But the ratio has some merit. What was the ratio on the ones you test drove? What was the test you referred to on ratio. I understand the F*&^ will still come out ahead with the horse but it wont be quite as bad if you don't use Chevy's weakest ratio
  10. murdog94

The Ford that i drove (my buddies) had 3.55 3.5L V-6 and 6spd, and the GMC was a 3.73, with the 5.3L, and 6spd. it was a brand new 2012. And the 3.42 is the common ratio as well as 3.42 really you dont see alot of the GM trucks with a 3.73 thanks to GM putting in a 6spd tranny. And oh i get ya Coach about the ratio. I use my trucks for primarily pulling, so the lowest i am willing to take a truck with is 3.73 (my ram has 3.92).

And i do find it disgusting when a comparison isnt equal on all levels, truck trim level, and gear ratio. But of course they need to make themselves look good.