What's a good backup camera?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Tutut, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Tutut

Tutut New Member

I'd like to install a backup camera on my truck. I would need both the camera and display monitor, and my budget is around $200 or less. Any recommendations? I've seen the VR3 and the Peak wireless systems. For the price, they seem decent enough, but I already have GPS unit that I plug into the cigarette lighter. Adding another display that plugs in would look messy, in my opinion. Anyone have any problems with the reception on a wireless system?

The Rostra back up camera (for the 08 Silverado) looks pretty clean, and it's wired, which I like. It costs a bit more, but might be worth it.

http://www.rostra.com/RearSight-VehicleSpecific.asp

2. Indy2500

Indy2500 New Member

I wasn't impressed with any "reasonably" priced kits, so I bought the components and did it myself.
    I bought a small weatherproof CCD color camera (about 3" long and 1" diameter) and mounted it behind the license plate. Drilled a 3/16" hole in the middle of the license plate. I bought a Pyle 7" LCD TFT monitor off ebay and mounted it on the center hump under the dash. A toggle switch under the dash turns on the camera and monitor. I wanted to be able to use the camera without having the truck in reverse. Bought some 5 conductor wire at the local hardware store so I only had to run one "cable" from the camera up into the cab. Works great and only have about $125 invested.

[​IMG] [​IMG]