1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's a good backup camera?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Tutut, Dec 16, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Tutut

Tutut New Member

I'd like to install a backup camera on my truck. I would need both the camera and display monitor, and my budget is around $200 or less. Any recommendations? I've seen the VR3 and the Peak wireless systems. For the price, they seem decent enough, but I already have GPS unit that I plug into the cigarette lighter. Adding another display that plugs in would look messy, in my opinion. Anyone have any problems with the reception on a wireless system?

The Rostra back up camera (for the 08 Silverado) looks pretty clean, and it's wired, which I like. It costs a bit more, but might be worth it.

http://www.rostra.com/RearSight-VehicleSpecific.asp
  2. Indy2500

Indy2500 New Member

I wasn't impressed with any "reasonably" priced kits, so I bought the components and did it myself.
    I bought a small weatherproof CCD color camera (about 3" long and 1" diameter) and mounted it behind the license plate. Drilled a 3/16" hole in the middle of the license plate. I bought a Pyle 7" LCD TFT monitor off ebay and mounted it on the center hump under the dash. A toggle switch under the dash turns on the camera and monitor. I wanted to be able to use the camera without having the truck in reverse. Bought some 5 conductor wire at the local hardware store so I only had to run one "cable" from the camera up into the cab. Works great and only have about $125 invested.

[​IMG] [​IMG]