1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats a good programmer thats affordable

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by kwalls22, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kwalls22

kwalls22 New Member

whats a good chip for an 09 gasser 1500 with a 5.3 thats not gonna cost a fortune. Let me know what you have and if you know of any good sites where i can find them at.
  2. ippielb

ippielb Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Find a used one, so much cheaper, and there's absolutely no difference from a used unit to a new unit. Except the price, just make sure its not vin locked to the previous vehicle.
  3. udontknowjack

udontknowjack New Member

everyone wants a tuning device lately huh...
  4. c_m_chance

c_m_chance New Member 100 Posts

Tuners are definitely the best bang for your buck! I have a Diablo and like it a whole lot. I found mine on ebay used and got it for $180.
  5. Lee Indy

Lee Indy New Member

how can you tell if its vin locked and what can you do if it is?
  6. c_m_chance

If it's vin locked, when you connect it to your truck, it will say something about not being compatible with your vehicle. What you can do to fix it? Wellll...some people have had luck with calling Diablo, telling them the problem, and then Diablo has them either take their handheld somewhere or have them send it in and they reset it. But, Diablo also doesn't like when people do this because they know that they are normally loosing money since that means that you didn't buy a new product from them. So it all kinda depends on the representative you talk to I guess.
  7. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member 100 Posts

actually, diablo's not losing money... because they charge you $130 to unlock it since you bought it used... ;-) so, add that to the cost of the used tool ya buy, and then how good is that deal you really got on that used, locked tool?? could have just bought a brand new one, with full warranty, for practically the same money...

and, if it says it's not compatible with your vehicle, it could be that it just needs a revision update to support your vehicle - the calibration ID in your ecm may not be supported in the revision version that's on the tool... so, you download the update free from diablo's site, install it to the tool... and bingo, done.

if it's locked to another vehicle, it will tell you that it's not "licensed" for use on your vehicle... another way to check is, power up the predator, and go to Options > Show Last Tune Written... that should show "original backup" if the person restored their original backup stock tune to their vehicle and unlocked the predator... if it says anything else besides "original backup" - then they did not do that and it is still locked to their vehicle.
  8. c_m_chance

Ah! I was not aware they charged for it. A guy told me once that he just went to a diablo rep here in Houston once and they reset his free of charge. Other times I had just heard they wouldn't do it.

Do they release updates often for the programers? I've searched around on their site a few times to see if I could find an update, thinking that there has probably definitely been one since my truck is a 2004, but I haven't ever been able to find any.
  9. Lee Indy

Lee Indy New Member

the more i read the black bear is the way to go
  10. c_m_chance

Ya, from everything I've heard, you definitely get better results when you get custom tunes specifically for your truck. But I think half the fun is being able to play with the parameters yourself and figure out what gives you the best results yourself.