1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's involved with an instrument cluster replacement?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SurrealOne, Jun 1, 2012.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think I've found one flaw in this methodology: if I mark the position of the needles on the old overlay ... and then remove the needles, emplace a new overlay, and replace the needles ... the new overlay lacks the marks made on the old one...
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's not that precision. Get them close and life is good. I had mine off several times and never bothered to mark them.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like a good topic for discussion this Saturday. You'll make it, yes?
  4. moogvo

Yes. I will be there... Trying to get some help with my cat since the truck slows dramatically when hot... I might be showing up in my 1500 Express conversion instead... Either way, I will be there!
  5. Ridyn

Ridyn New Member 100 Posts

I'm probably late and this has probably already been answered but I am lazy and would rather type than read so here you go.

The milage can be restored to the correct numbers if you get a certified dealer/shop to match your cluster, and the title also has to read that the cluster has been changed. However, there must be a reason as to why the gauge cluster was changed otherwise you can prosecuted for fraud if you ever decide to trade/sell the vehicle. However, if you're not going to do such thing just write down the miles you currently have, write down the miles on the new cluster if any, and then use simple math to calculate where your mileage is going to be at in xxx,xxx miles from now!
  6. moogvo

I know the dealer has the ability to flash the odometer and make it read whatever mileage they want it to read. I am not sure if they will only do it with a new cluster that came from them or if they will let you bring in a used one. It probably largely depends on the mood of the service writer and/or state laws I presume.