1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's the best fluid for my 03 Allison ??

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Bluewater, Jun 15, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Bluewater

Bluewater New Member

Hi all, Can I get your opinion and ideas on what is the BEST, not least expensive, fluid I should use for a filter/fluid service. I can't seem to find a solid answer to wheather to use Dex III , Dex VI or Transynd in my 03 Allison. I have got a lot of conflicting answers to this especially from GM dealers. thanks
  2. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member 100 Posts

I stand with royal purple
    i think its amazing, having use it in both manual and automatic transmissions.
    runs cooler, shifts smoother, and overall- keeps the trans cleaner than whatever the manufacture calls for
    so yeah, i say invest in that stuff.
    my jeep, my chevy, and my friend's mustang, all love it
  3. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member 100 Posts

mine does the same thing with royal purple as it does with valvoline lol its really just whatever you have good/bad experience with. personally im not hooked on any sort of oil or tranny fluids but i know lots guys that swear up and down that *insert brand name here* works better than all the rest. i have a grandpa that uses nothing but castrol and another grandpa that uses nothing but valvoline. both have had vehicles last over 300k miles without any major problems. find the prettiest bottle or the one thats on sale if you ask me.
  4. Bluewater

Bluewater New Member

It gets a little more complicated than that when you are 2500 miles away from home pulling a 13K pound 5th wheel and you need a tranny overhaul at the tune of $4500. Thanks for your help so I think I will use what all the Allison dealers recomend.
    Have a great day and thanks again.
  5. K15 Blazer Guy

daaaaaaaaaaamn thats a lotta gas and groceries they just robed you of.......
    they had better have taged on a kick ass warranty for that price.

and if they did, then totally get what they tell you to get for oil... preserve the warranty
  6. Bluewater

Bluewater New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean I had an overhaul I just ment I didn't want one.
  7. K15 Blazer Guy

oh thank god
    lol

well either way with regular changes and attention to fluid level and quality, it should be fine no matter what.

i still say royal P though. especially for towing, because it runs cooler. heat kills auto transmissions
  8. 4x4squared

4x4squared New Member 100 Posts

just out of curiosity, why ask when youre going to use whats recommended anyway?