whats the best way to gain HP?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chevy22, Oct 21, 2010.

1. chevy22

chevy22 New Member

ive read alot of forums about the best to gain horsepower on a 4.8L silverado and everyone says somethin different. so whats honestly the best way to gain power with out forced induction?

2. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you looking for one single item or a series of items?

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hi Chevy22, welcome to the GM truck club.
    The best way to get more HP? Simple, get more fuel and air into it, that's all.
    How to do it is where all the argueing starts. A lot of it depends on how thick your wallet is, & what you want to end up with, but a good start is a set of equal length, long tube headers.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Swap out the 4.8L for a 7.0L, you should have plenty of HP then.

5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

What stephan said.Welcome to the club!

6. chevy22

chevy22 New Member

Any amount of items is fine.
    well i recently bought the truck a 2001 reg cab short bed and its not too bad but i wanna make it quicker.
    yea a 7.0L would take care of the problem lol thanks!

i just want to know from what people with alot of experience recommend for the best horse for ur money going from stock. the only thing i have on there is a AEM brute force air intake.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

thanks bigbomber!

7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah I agree with headers. Then my next suggestion would be cam and tune.

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

N2O gives the most bang for the $$.
    A 5.3 swap gives the most reliability, mpg,for the $$-You can cam it, and change rear end gearing and get lots more acceleration-4.10 maybe
    You can get lots of power from a 5.3-cam, rev higher, change diff gears-heck if you have plenty of $$ get some aftermarket heads, headers,CAI, exhaust-higher stall speed converter(hurt mpg of course)
    Charlie

9. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

really all depends on how much money and time you want to put into it. As most of the others said headers is a great place to start. then upgrades on your intake side can help some, but to get the most out of those you have to upgrade cam/heads, bump up compression, etc. Then other upgrades such as gearing or high stall converter that help you take advantage of that power.

10. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In short, it is a slippery slope...

Once you make one modification and realize the performance increase, you'll start itching to do another and another....

If money is an issue, start slow and simple. Cold Air Intake, spark plugs and wires, under dirve pulleys. Then move onto headers and dual exhaust, cut the CAT's.

Once you crack the motor open, might as well bundle your upgrades. CAM, ported heads, high flow intake manifold, larger TBI and injectors.

Of course after all that a chip tune will be required.

It more of a disease then a passion, once you have been bitten by the HP bug, ain't no goin' back.