whats the best wheel size to upgrade to on a suburban [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 97bigredburban, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. was just wondering ......with all thes different large size diameter wheels that are out in the wheel market, for a chevy suburban other than factory......... whats the perfect size wheel that would compliment its size....as far as filling up the fender well, but at the same time thats not overkill.18's, 20's 22's, 24's etc :wink:

2. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

I have 17" Escalade rims on my truck with 275/70/17 rubber. seems to do ok and the 17s are still OEM on a lot of vehicles so they are not as spendy as the 18+ rims / tires pairs.
    If you want to send me your email address in a private message I'd be happy to send you some pictures of my truck. The other thing you can do to check tires is use http://tirerack.com, they will show a picture of your truck with the rims/tires that you select so you can take out some of the guess work.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Anybody know where one could find some good looking 8lug aluminum wheels, or at least 8 lug steel wheels that don't look like they belong on a work truck. I've found some, but they're too much like they belong on something tricked out. That's not my style. I just want it to look good, not impress the low rider kiddies down the street. :?

4. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

There are a lot of 17s from Caddy, and GMC that are off the newer trucks that look nice.

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

8 lug? What do you have a 1 ton?

6. TrailLeadr

I'm not sure about for other years, but for '93 they had two GVW classes for the 2500 Sub. one was 7200lbs and is 6 lug, and the other is 8600lbs and is 8 lug. I have the 8600lb, and that's only one among many differences between the two.

7. Dieselburb

Dieselburb New Member

I have dealer installed original Alcoa LTS 5-spoke 16x7 8-bolt wheels (Alcoa PN:167031), max. load 3750lb @ 110psi, only weigh 19lb each.
    With 235/85R16 BFG's they fill enough of the wheel well nicely and gather looks and compliments everywhere I go.
    I have a fondness for Alcoa wheels for their strenght/quality/light weight and looks. Just my two cents.
    Ron :D

8. TrailLeadr

Thanks Dieselburb, I think I'll look into that. 19lbs is very impressive! I think the collective 8 lugnuts on each tire weigh that much :lol: nevermind the 50+lbs of each factory steel rim.

9. TrailLeadr

OK, I just took a look at those alcoa's, and that's definately something I would consider putting on my 'burban! Very sharp looking!

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Alcoa's? I've never heard of them before. Are they a new name?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.