1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

What's the deal with the Buzz from the Onstar Mic????

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Enkeiavalanche, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have seen others talk about it And now I have this problem The Speaker or Mic above my head in my 08 Avalanche is now Buzzing. As soon as I start the truck.. Anyone know how to stop it?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Ok I was just told it a temp sensor for the climate control. But why would it be Buzzing? And how do you stop it? I think I remember people saying they blew air in and cleaned it out..

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If it's in the headliner above your head, its an internal temp sensor for the auto HVACs. The onstar mic is in the console above the mirror.
    The temp sensor is a thermistor with a small fan that blows air across it. It is the small fan that is noisy.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Rayvoy is correct. It is a hvac sensor. They are easy to take out, just pull down on the grill part and it will pop off. Then slide your hand on top of the headliner and grab it. (might need to remove your visor for more room) I use a screwdriver thru the hole where the grill sat to pop off the connector. Then pull it out. I disassemble them, just pop the cover off and carefully bend the thermistor out of the way, then remove the fan or impeller, clean them up well, and apply a drop of gun oil or household oil to the pin and magnet looking thing that it rides on. reassemble and reinstall. The fix usually lasts about 2 years depending on the amount of dust that gets sucked into it. When they start making noise again just repeat the process.

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Everyone here is right. It's the small fan in the temperature sensor for the climate controls that makes noise. Mine does the same thing and it drives me crazy. For me, it seems to only do it when its cool outside or when i first start the truck and the interior is not up to normal temperature yet.

6. Enkeiavalanche

Thanks guys.. I will get her done today...... And take pics.....:great:

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Of course after I replied with the way I fix it, I get in my truck to take my son to school and mine is doing it now! :lol: I have not fixed it yet in this truck as I have only had it a few months. Guess I have another thing to add to the weekend to do list. Glad it is only a 10 minute job.

8. Enkeiavalanche

Well I took the shop Vac to it today and we will see how that worked in the morning.. And if that does not work I will be taking it all apart..