1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats the Difference between 70's and 80's 350ci

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Scratchy_Joe, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Scratchy_Joe

Scratchy_Joe New Member

I just bout a 86 Sierra that has a 70 something 350. He was not sure which year so I would like to know what big changes I can expect.
  2. BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403 New Member

Some of the Mid 80's V-8's are all ready to accept roller cams (mid 80's on should have the holes for the bolts that hold the plate down that keep the roller lifters in place). Also some time between 85 and 88 they switched over to a 2 piece rear main. If you have a 70's 350 in it you're lucky they are cheaper to tinker with and rebuild if you need to because the parts are so much more common. basically a 70's 350 is basically the same as a late 60's 350 and an early 80's 350. But the two piece rear main is the big difference...
  3. Scratchy_Joe

Scratchy_Joe New Member

4. Farmerdave

Farmerdave New Member

80s smog heads and early 70s wherent if it has 70s heads on it.
  5. lildino383

lildino383 New Member

Actually, in '87 GM went to a one-piece rear main. Older two-piece blocks can be converted to this style if desired, but it isn't recommended since that leads to a parts chase. But, no worries. A Generation 1 350 block is a Generation 1 350 block. The newer ones may not have the holes drilled for a mechanical fuel pump, but they can be.