1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's the difference between European wiring an US wiring

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Davandy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What's the difference between European wiring an US wiring?
    I have tried to figure this one out. I have eight wires on the radio for four speakers, but on the van I have three wires for four speakers maybe I’m stupid
    Can anyone help me here? :rolleyes:

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry Peter, but I'm not quite understanding where you are? Try that a little slower your accent is really thick. Was the conversion done on your van here or there?
  3. lawson4450

lawson4450 Rockstar 100 Posts

is there three wires on the radio or just three running thru the van ?if it were me and there are 8 wires off the radio then just run wires to each speaker positive, negative for left front, right front. left rear and right rear.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. Davandy

I will do it sloooow :zzz: :lol:

The van has three wires and 4 speakers.

The radio has 8 wires for the speakers.

Over here a speaker has 2 connections a positive and a negative wire.

I think the American way is that the negative wire is connected to the cars body and 1 wire left and 1 wire right.

I can rewire the entire connection, but it's not that simple because the same speakers are used for the TV and the radio you can switch between the two and you can use a headset too if you want.

The conversion is done in America.

Sorry for the bad accent but technical things aren't that easy to explain.
    Now you try it in Dutch :lol:
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Something is a miss here Peter. There should be (Your right) 1 ground and 1 positive per speaker. Even if you had a common ground (Which I've never seen in a car/truck) there would be 5, right? So something isn't right. Other-wise you would have no stereo sound (or speaker separation) in music. Excuse my Dutch, it's kind of rusty...I hope you can read this thread OK.
  6. Davandy

No problem, I think the only option is to dismantle the interior and see where all the wires go.
    The wife will say :shocked: :no:
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Having 2 wires for each speaker is customary for vehicles in the past, I'd say, 16 years at least. In fact, on 99% of aftermarket radios I have come across, all over them they say "DO NOT USE THE CAR BODY AS A GROUND FOR SPEAKERS, DAMAGE WILL OCCUR"...I've always wanted to see what would happen, but all the vehicles I've come across have had 2 wires for each speaker, so I never got around to testing what would happen, not to mention I wouldn't want to kill the amp in a radio just to test that out
  8. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

the speaker wouldnt work if you grounded it to the body would it,correct me if im wrong but the negative isnt actually a ground, its the negative in the parrallel series.. deck to speaker speaker to deck.

About the tree wire thing, i cant find a fiche, but if i do, ill post it.