1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's the easiest way to turn off the Check Engine Light? (Oil Change Light)

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Chevy350, Mar 17, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

I do my own oil changes and i dont know how to reset my check engine light. Any simple answers to that other than bringing it to the dealer?

thanks,
    Taylor

'03 Silverado 4.8 v8 4x4
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hi Taylor, If there is a hard code stored you will not be able to clear it. Rather than disconnecting the battery which clears all your engine, transmission and Powertrain adapts as well as radio presets, etc why not take it to Autozone? They will tell you the code or codes and you can go from there. When your check engine light is on usually your PCM has initiated some failsafe measures to protect whatever component that is acting up. Clearing the code may actually cause more damage to that component. If you have no Autozone around call a few shops. Many will scan your truck for free.
  3. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

I have an Autozone 8 miles away, I will go visit them this weekend then. Thanks a lot jim
  4. Jimmiee

And just to be clear you are talking about your Check Engine Light and not your oil change light, correct? You can turn off the oil change light by turning on the key without starting the engine and press the gas pedal on and off 3 times within 5 seconds.
  5. black98noma

black98noma New Member

there are also OBDII readers you can buy off the tool trucks(snap-on, matco, mac) ive got one and they are the greatest! you can read codes and it will break them down in to english.. mine cost me about 75 dollars, but its a plg and play. you can get some that are hundreds of dollars, but as the price goes up the amount of functions and things you can change go up as well!
  6. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

well its the orange picture of an engine... not in words "check engine" if thats what you mean
  7. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

Thats pretty cool, ill look into that... thanks man!
  8. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

I did the change oil reset trick and the light is still on. I brought it to a friend who has a code reader and its for the oil but how can i reset it? do i have to see a dealer?
  9. Jimmiee

Still not sure which light is on?? The oil light should be reset with gas pedal. The check engine light would have specific codes like a P0123 or a P0456, etc. You didn't say if it had any codes???
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

There is a general CEL (Check Engine Light) for that year vehicle, and starting in the year 2002 (maybe before, but certainly in 2002) GM had the Oil Life Monitor system ready to go for many engines and some of the early systems had to be reset, while now they have internal sensors that automatically will determine that the oil has been changed. In the very-very early systems of this type they were just merely a count-down timer of sorts, with virtually no sensor activity at all. They are much more sophisticated now.

So based on the nature of the question, I think he's asking about his 2003 Silverado with the middle-version of the Oil Life Monitoring system. Since we're talking about a feature that I had on my 2002 Trailblazer, I'm surprised that I can't remember off the top of my head how to reset that. I think it was something simple like 1) engine off - put key in ignition, 2) turn to accessory - do not start, 3) step on gas pedal 4-time in rapid succession, 4) turn key to off position - then go ahead and start the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

I love this video for it's simplicity. I also love how the guy is smoking a cig while lecturing people about specific information, like he's the smartest person in the world. I'd have a word or two with him if he was smoking in my vehicle. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXv93K_YeuI