1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats this? Exhaust questions

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Okimaw, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Okimaw

Okimaw New Member

I'm getting ready to do a few things, was going to put some high flow cats and shorty headers. I went to inspect my piping and saw a few things that concerned me. Firstly, the pipe on the right hand is really dark/rusty /discolored beside the left/forward cat and so is the cat while the piping beside the rear cat is fine for its age. Is this a sign that the cat is plugged or malfunctioning and overheating?
    Second thing I noticed was the connectors on the drivers side manifild, really rusted and obviously had a piece welded in before but there's some black crud at the joint and was wondering what that might be.
    It's a 97 Sierra XCab, with 5.7l, here's a couple of pics. Thanks in advance for any help

Attached Files:

2. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Looks like some low grade work to me.
  3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Looks like someone gave it a Presidental Adjustment. But your from the north where the roads are salted. People repair exaust the cheapest way they can. I've lost my fair share of mufflers in a snow bank or two..
  4. Okimaw

Okimaw New Member

Thanks guys. Definately low quality work, I would NEVER do that to my truck. As for salt bigdaddy, where I live the winters are generally too cold for them to bother salting the roads as it only works as low as -7 celsius, if we get a day like that in January or February we're out in our Tshirts lol Seriousy though black ice is extremely rare here and the shop where I got my mufflers from guarantees their grade of aluminzed steel piping up to 10 yrs daily driving
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Hee hee hee ...

That exhaust was stainless (low grade) from the factory. My 96 and 97 still have the original exhaust on them. It's possible the previous owner hit something and had to repair the pipe. Rather trying to get the manifold header bolts out, they cut it off and welded to it.
  6. 1morepart

1morepart New Member

definitely shoty work....imo, go with longtubes and high flow cats and take all that piping out!
  7. Okimaw

Okimaw New Member

I'm getting the pipes out and putting in magnaflow cats this weekend. I am definately going to do headers but not sure if I'll do longs. Who makes the best 2:42:58 PM's for this model truck? There don't seem to be a lot in my online shopping that I been doing the last while.
  8. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

The second picture you have is actually a repair that a lot of exhaust shops perform on these trucks. The exhaust doughtnut blew out and Was replaced the only problem is the Y-pipe was probably rusted bad enough right at the connection that they simply cut and spliced to ensure that the exhaust made a good seal and didnt have any leaks.. the black is Carbon from it leaking slightly plus moisture will often work its way thru that passage as well..
    You are looking at a very difficult area to weld in.. And pulling the manifolds is an expensive option if you have a shop do it. Plus the risk of breaking bolts is very high.

The one that is routed by your cat is some lower grade pipe that was installed for who knows what..

I live in the salt belt, and they try to salt around -30F here all the time.. it just ends up in my fender wells....
  9. Okimaw

Okimaw New Member

Thanks guys. I'm taking it in tomorrow. Luckily the mechanic is one of my relatives who also has a parts business on the side. He ordered in the cats and piping and will do the work for a family type rate. I'd be scared to take it into a shop and see their bill.
  10. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I know just getting the doughnuts done cost me $480 and that was the lowest i could find.. There was no piping done or anything just replacing the studs and doughtnuts.. I didnt have time to do the work myself or trust me it would have been in my driveway.... Right now the cheapest shop that will do them is $300 per side.. And that is if nothing goes wrong.