Whats up Sportsfans ~ Joined The NAVY!

Discussion in 'Military & Vets' started by rileyjr16, Apr 26, 2013.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Hey all. As most of you know, I joined the Navy in April 2012. I am now pleased to say I made E-3 (Airman) a little early. I'm on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower and we're currently out to sea for a bit. Well, an update, I made 9 months with my girlfriend Sunday, my transfer case in the truck finally went out and locked up. Um I'm catching airplanes on the flight deck with the arresting gear. Its fun, just sucks being away from home but thats how it goes. Can't wait to get back and have my woman and the truck up in Norfolk and meet some people. Airman Riley signing off. Take care guys

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like all is going good for the most part.
    Congrats on E-3, you studying for third class and Surface Warfare now?
    Working the deck during flight ops is probably one of the most dangerous jobs you could find, and probably one of the most exciting. Cyclic ops with 12-on 12-off wear you out fast but the days pass by real quick and before you know it the deployment is over.
    At least your on a good ship, I always liked the Ike she has a steady deck during blue water ops.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  3. rileyjr16

Right now I'm trying for air warfare. It's gonna be a while before I make 3rd class but I'm trying to study up on it. I enjoy the flight deck, wish my lcpo heard of 12 on 12 off haha. I'm working sometimes 20 hour days with 3+- hours of sleep

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good to hear from you, bud! I'm glad things are going well. The military's a good life if you have the discipline for it ... and it sounds like you do!

5. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Hey Riley long time no talk... Sounds like things are going well. As [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] states sounds like dedication is paying off. Keep it up. Post a picture if you can...

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You guys on deployment or just work-ups?
    If you decide to stay in longer that warfare pin will be important, dual pins would help even more.
    Are you an ABH? I have a friend ay work that was an AB in the hanger deck on Ike during her early 2000's overhaul, he got out right before the first at sea period and now regrets never taking her to sea for at least the work-ups.
    Just remember your keeping all of us at home safe and we appreciate your sacrafices.
    Fair winds and following seas Shipmate!!

7. rileyjr16

ABE actually. But close enough haha. We are on deployment which is almost done. The. We hit the yards until i make third and go TAD probably to the Truman. It's not too bad here. A little hot but it's not unbearable. Can't wait for our next port though :)

- - - Updated - - -

ABE actually. But close enough haha. We are on deployment which is almost done. The. We hit the yards until i make third and go TAD probably to the Truman. It's not too bad here. A little hot but it's not unbearable. Can't wait for our next port though :)

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Congrats on E-3! Keep your a$$ down and your head on a swivel! Flight ops make the long days feel short. And it's young guys like you that keep old guys like me able to live as we wish in this great country. So a big THANK YOU to you and your shipmates.

9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=48233]rileyjr16[/MENTION]. let me know when u get back. i make it up towards NOB fairly often. meet ya for lunch or something one day. take ya out to hooters.

Alex

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Just not the one out by Damn Neck! LOL