1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What's up with brake pad manufactures?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Pikey, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have noticed over the last few years that when I install new pads I have to go at the ears of the pads with a file. They fit so tightly that you would have to beat them in if you did not file them down. The last set that I installed I had to spend a pretty substantial amount of time filing them so they would slide properly. I have noticed this with multiple manufactures and over multiple vehicle manufactures. Are their tolerances that far off that what they are selling is acceptable? I have also heard that Wagner no longer has a lifetime warranty. They will replace your pads one time for free. I was told that they are doing this because of taxi drivers and other industrial users going thru pads on a constant basis. I know that I saw [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] mention filing pads down in another post. Has anyone else noticed this?
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just replaced my front pads (and rotors) this past weekend. While they were a tight fit, I didn't need to file or modify anything to get them in. This is the second time I have replaced the pads on my truck and I didn't need to do any filing the first time either.
  3. Pikey

Maybe it is just my OCD making sure that the pads slide on the guides easily. I have always seen it as, if the pads don't move easily then they will drag. I have also fixed many a spongy pedal for people just by making sure the pads move freely on the guides. I never had to file them until recently. I have also never had to file wagner pads. I have had to file Duralast, brakes best, and wearever pads
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Interesting. I installed Duralast pads this past weekend. They were a tight fit but no filing. All I had to do was make sure I was pushing in both ends of the pad at the same time and not let one end get ahead of the other.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION], I've had the problem as well, on the last two, or three, sets of pads. I don't think I had to file all of the ears, but one, or two on an axle set.
  6. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

I have also seen this. I think the punch press or what ever they use to make the steel plate needs new cutters more often.
  7. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

It's not just the stampings that seem to be getting out of tolerance. I recently replaced the front disc pads on my wife's minivan. After installing the new brakes, their was still a very noticeable squealing coming from the driver's side. Turns out that the "tattle tale" tab that is bent first up, and then back down towards the rotor was sitting too high. It was rubbing against the wheel as it rotated past the brake pad, causing it to squeak and squeal. Never had that problem before this last time.
  8. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

I always grind the edges and put on copper anti-sieze when I dod them on any car. I noticed on the Silverado, the corrosion caused the retainer springs to stick and I had to grind them again to make them fit in properly even though they already had 25K on them. The minimal clearance and a little corrosion and it always needs a good grind off even for new ones.
  9. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

this is what I thought when I first saw this years ago.
  10. Pikey

:great: I am glad to find out that is not just me having this issue.