1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Whats up with tailgate handles?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Tdaz250, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Why is it that like 35% of silverados that i see the tailgate handle(not the part that you grab onto, but the outer plastic shield) is just gone??

2. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

they dont hang on too well.bad design i think.mine was missing when i bought it and just got a new one.the guy i bought it from said he had to replace it once and when that one fell off he just gave up.ill see how long my new one lasts

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's funny that you brought this up, because I was wondering the same thing the other day. I have had three Silverado's in the past, and I have never had one of those fall off. The only thing I kept thinking was that maybe that person had to put new retainer clips on the tail gate rods, and they had to remove that piece?? I always thought they were snapped in place, but they must just use double sided tape instead.

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sometimes you just have to get that tailgate open and when the latch doesn't cooperate, out comes the screwdriver, and pliers and "bang" tailgate is open. Such a hassle to go down to the dealer for a new one, so you drive around sans latch. Thanks gm, nice design.

5. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just want to through this out there, Autozone has brand new tailgate bezels for like $8. When I first got my Sierra, I had to go buy a new one. They don't sell the tailgate bar clips though, so I just used a combo of zip ties, and no problems to far.

6. Eslingerj

Eslingerj New Member

my buddy lost his all the time he has bought like 6 of them and the last time we fixed it right... get your hands on some good chemical binner better than super glue but not gorilla glue cause it foams out.... fill it full and hold it we have never had a problem since

7. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

I didnt realize it was just double sided taped(pretty much) holding it on there. I thought it was clipped in there with heavy duty clips or something.

8. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i replaced those clips with metal ones of a similar design

9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been looking for the metal carburetor type clips. Where did you find them with the correct hole size?

10. nlocho11

nlocho11 Rockstar 100 Posts

its funny there's a post about this because after 5 years of owning my truck, my tailgate cover fell off when i went to go drop my tailgate the other day, put it back in, the fell of when I was driving apparently. oh well.