1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whats wrong w/my Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Castor Troy, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Castor Troy

Castor Troy New Member

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03D6baZekA[/media]

Sender or dash gauge??
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

pic wont load, so am gonna give ya what i know, if its fluttering back and forth constantly then its the gauge. if you dont have seperate guges from one to the ohter then you have to replace the entire cluster
  3. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Dash gauge. Tough to tell on the video.... is it twitching real fast while it reads like that? If it's just the bouncing up and down it may very well be the sending unit.

As much as I hate being one of those people... do a search on the forum and you will find oodles of posts regarding the messed up fuel gauge. Depending on what year your vehicle is.. (it looks to be around.. '99?) you can bring your vehicle into GM for a recall. I think it's 03-06 for the recalls.

But welcome to the world of bad GM clusters if you got a twitchin' gauge!
  4. retired

retired New Member 100 Posts

I've never saw a gauge go bad in the 20 years plus working on cars. Replace the sending unit.
  5. vncj96

well then i should have sent you mine, it fluttered like a hummingbird wing, replaced the cluster and no problems since 04
  6. Springthing

And there are entirely WAY too many posts about bad gauges in here to not notice it being a problem.

vnc, did you have the gauge replaced at the dealership with a new one?
  7. vncj96

sure did, I brought it in and they tested it and since I bought a new one with them they waived the testing fees:money: so i was pretty happy.
  8. Springthing

Good to know. Thanks!
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

if it's not the cluster, the ground for the tank may be messed up. That'll cause an inaccurate or swinging gauge.
  10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the exact same problem. When I put it in neutral the gauge goes all over the place, the needle only moves between beyond full and half a tank the for the entire tank of gas (found that out the hard way) and it flutters. Basically I have all the problems mentioned in every post. :no: