1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

whats wrong with my brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 97GMCSierra1500, Sep 17, 2010.

1. 97GMCSierra1500

97GMCSierra1500 New Member

i have a 97 gmc sierra and whenever i press on the brakes now it resists it and i have to push really hard to even get it to stop. when i put a used rear end in one of the bleeders wouldnt come loose to bleed all the brakes. could it be air in the system or something else. i've had the used rear end in since early 2010 and no brake problems til a couple days ago. it makes the sound when u first press your brakes and it doesnt stop making it unless u push extremly hard and get it to the floor. if anyone has any help it would be appreciated

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Have you checked the brake booster, you may be braking without any power assist.
    Been leaking any powersteering fluid lately?

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

In the 1500 models they had vacuum assist still. Is it stopping funny like ABS or like manual brakes? If the brakes are stopping like manual brakes (no chatter) then i would look into a brake booster for sure.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yea looking at the repair manual I see the terrific power steering pump power assist system was for 2500 and 3500's.
    Look around for any leaking vacuum lines also, the problem could be as simple as a leaking fitting or old vacuum line needing replacement.