What's your internet bandwidth?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I just upgraded my internet with AT&T U-verse to their "Max Plus" ... whatever that is. They give a credit for 6months for the difference between the new plan and your old plan, so it won't cost me any more until July/August of this year.

[​IMG]

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Bell Aliant FibreOP. Fibre to the house. down speed is 80Mbps, up speed is 30Mpbs. It also includes landline phone and 240 TV channels.

Now, that's what they advertise and sell, what is the actually speed?????????

3. ChevyFan

Go to that website above and it will test your speed for you. http://www.speedtest.net/

What does that cost per month?

4. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Crappy DSL. Download 2.64Mbps/Upload 0.54Mbps/ Ping 77ms Live out in the boonies so DSL is the only option as broadband cable is not out this far "yet". At least it's better than dial-up. I am almost at the furthest point out for loop length @15,000 feet

5. RayVoy

Thanks, I got 19.5 down and 18.29 up. Far cry from advertised, I'm sure it's system load dependent, probably faster in the middle of the night.

$119.95 per month.

6. ChevyFan

Your "pipe" might be split for all of your devices, tv, phone, alarm system ... whatever you've got running right now.

I have two computers, a NAS, IP printer, Smart TV, Roku 2 XS, xbox360 and at least 4 mobile devices hooked up at any one time.

7. RayVoy

Good point, when I ran that test 2 tv's were on and wife was using phone (still on and she is still using phone, haha). And, I just notice the PVR light is on, so she is recording at least one other channel.

8. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not bad but I had way better when I had Verizon FiOS.

[​IMG]

9. ChevyFan

Seems that since so many people (like me) no longer have a pay tv service (except Netflix) and just watch TV / video programing over the Web ... That they have increased to price for Internet service to help their profit out.

10. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

[​IMG]

$120 a month just for internet. Welcome to the world of online gaming.

- - - Updated - - -
    [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION], I used to do U-Verse Tech support, as a supervisor. PM me if you have any issues. I'm a little rusty, but I think we can get the job done.