What's your opinion about body lifts?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 2011laserblue, Mar 23, 2013.

1. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Hey guys,

I posted a thread a while back about going from a 4" suspension lift from BDS to a 6" lift - I contacted BDS and it is do-able. I would have to get the 6" front strut assembly, rear U bolt and bushing kit , 5.5" larger lift blocks, and longer shocks. This will run me a little over $500 and a lot of work.

After some thinking...I looked into zone off road (who to my understanding, is made by BDS) and looked into their 3.5" combo kit - which is a 2" leveling kit and 1.5" body lift - this runs at $200 + $45 rear bumper re-loaction brackets. So obviously a $245 investment with no where near the labor of upgrading my current suspension lift.

So my question....how many of you run body lifts, and, what do you think of them?
    How's the ride? Are they safe?.....Anything I should know about them that I'm not thinking of?

The re-location brackets for the rear bumper are for "for appearance only and connot be used for towing", I'm assuming that would be towing with a ball that is on the bumper, not a receiver?

I do tow...not "often" but enough to where this would be a deciding factor if I cannot tow with a body lift.

I would probably get rear wheelhouse liners to cover the space between the body and frame, so there shouldn't be an issue there.

Thanks in advance fellas,

LaserBlue

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have an 04' Colorado 5" CST suspension lift, and a 3" body lift. I did the body lift out of necessity to fit new engine, the bellhousing would not clear the firewall. This is my first vehicle I have had with a body lift, and It rides like a wagon. It ruined the factory ride, I got mine through performance accessories. I also replaced ALL mounts, body, engine, transmission, suspension mounts with energy suspension and the ride is still crappy.

The truck has a lot of noticible body roll, even while running 305's on 20"s.

They wanted $200 for the wheel well liners, which is a ripoff. We bought some used one's for a silverado for $10 AND TRIMMED THEM TO FIT. I have also seen guys use a large flat piece of rubber, and cut pieces to fit.

I also have a factory hitch, we had to make no alterations to this BUT it hangs way below the rear bumper and looks goofy. Like I said I hate the body lift, but I have to run it because of the powertrain.

3. 2011laserblue

Thanks for the info...I'm kicking myself I should have just went with the 6" kit from the beginning.
    Actually where I really screwed up was buying a truck with 3.08's. I originally did not plan on doing any mods but I couldn't help myself.

I guess if I did get the 6" kit I would not have been able to afford the re-gear at the same time to go along with the 35's...anyway. But either way, I'm kicking myself.

So you would suggest just spending the money and time to upgrade my suspension lift?

Gosh, that Colorado has got to be like a rocket ship...

4. TRPLXL2

I had an 05 1500HD that had a 6" Pro Comp suspension lift, 5.5" blocks in the back. That truck rode like a Cadillac, It did not have a body lift either. If you enjoy how your truck rides now, then do not do the body lift.

If we lived closer I would take you for a ride in the Colorado, you can feel every bump in the road and the body roll is kinda scary. I hope my truck is like a rocket, It still is under construction. I haven't even got to drive it since the swap.

What gearing do you have now? I had 4.10's on my Silverado, and that 5.3 hated those 35"s lol!! I eventually went to 4.88 front and rear, yeah it was damn expensive but worth it.

5. 2011laserblue

Oh I guess I didn't realize that it was not done yet. I've been halfway following your picture thread but haven't checked in a while.

I think my ride is better now than it was when it was at the stock height - maybe I'll just live with the 4" lift and accept it.

Right now I've still got the 3.08's...it really isn't "that" bad..but some extra power would be nice, although I'm not trying to race anyone. I was about 50/50 split between 3.73's and 4.10's - dealer recommended 3.73's due to the fact that I do a lot of highway driving at 70+ MPH..although everyone on here says 4.10's

I'm still pretty undecided, what the difference will be is if I go up in height then I will obviously go up in tire size...and then re-gear accordingly, at which point would be 4.10's.

I really don't know if I want to spend the 500 and time on upgrading my suspension lift...unless I get some other opinions to base off yours (although I trust and value yours) it looks like I will be sticking with what I have.

6. TRPLXL2

I know there are a ton of people on here with body lifts, but the fact that your stacking on top of a suspension lift makes a difference. A lot of people just wont do it period, plus mine is also a smaller truck then yours.

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a 3" body lift on my 95. It was the first thing I did to it. I did not notice a major body roll issue. I also installed onme on my sisters 98 tahoe and did not notice that much of a difference. I later installed a 6" BDS kit and was running 38.5" baja claws. I purchased the fender liners to fill the cap and a long strait piece that filled the gap between the rear bumper and bed for around $75 total. They came with all the holes pre drilled and push in type fasteners. I bought them from a company called lift lips. I don't even know if they are around any more. Alternatively, you can go to a place that sells semi or large truck tires and ask them if they have any damaged tubes that they are throwing away. Most the time they will give you a bunch of them for free. Then you can use a pair of scissors and cut them.

8. 2011laserblue

Thanks for the info , [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] . Did you notice a large difference in ride quality?

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

not really. The kit I used had a plastic spacer that was inserted in between the frame support for the body mount and the body mount. The truck still sat on the factory rubber mounts. I had seen people remove the rubber for some reason. Those trucks ride like crap. I use d an Performance Accessories lift kit. I just looked them up, wow, they have increased in price bigtime! Any way, if you are going to buy a kit I suggest searching very well online. I found almost a $180 difference for the same kit.

10. 2011laserblue

That's interesting - which kit is it that you are speaking of? I was thinking zone offroad, simply because they are made by BDS(I think), the manufacturer of my suspension lift.