1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Adapters.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by sfdefender24, Mar 11, 2012.

1. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

Does anyone run wheel adapters on their truck? If you do, how much were they and where did you buy them? Im looking at trying to find another set as for my first set was poorly made and broke. My truck looks stupid now personally b/c my back tires are stuck in even and front tires stick out about 2 inches from the wheel well. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advanced.
  2. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

You are talking about spacers then right? Not bolt hole adapters?
  3. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

Each site i look at they are either considered adapters or spacers. I was told that b/c i need my tires to stick out that i need adapters. Here is one website i found- http://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/chevy_s Im looking at the 2inch. keep same bolt pattern but just make the tires stick out.
  4. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

OOO ok i understand now. You are looking for some serious sizes haha i gotcha. Ive never gone that big but they look pretty sturdy. What were you running before?

5. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

I was running some of the 1.5" from a wheel and tire shop here in hampton, va and they seemed to be sturdy but after a few months of drive around, but yesterday when i went to rotate my tires 2 studs on each of the spacers/adapters snapped off. When I called to ask about the warranty they said they no longer have a warranty on those b/c of so many complaints and that they import them. So now im looking to buy adapters that are made in America that wont snap on me.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The breakage you found on your adaptors/spacers is one of the best reasons not to use them, this is one of the common problems with spacers, other problems are early wheel bearing failure, loose lug nuts, and lug studs pulling out.
    Have you considered using a different style wheel and a little less back spacing?
    I'm guessing your using this much spacing to achieve a certain look or to clear suspension components with the tire/rims but spacers that wide can really become a hazard, your axle isnt designed to take that kind of loading and sooner or later your gonna have parts failure.
  7. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

The reason I was using them is bc my front tires stick out from the wheel well, and I want my rear tires to do the same. The backspace is what rough country says to use for there big lift. I have thought about changing the backspace when I get new rims and tires at the end of the year.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Kind of what I was thinking.
    I'm not a fan of spacers, I've seen to many failures from them.
    Probably the only type axle that doesnt have problems using spacers is a full floating axle.
    But in this case there really isnt to many ways to go, probably the best method would be new wheels but that takes $$.
  9. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member

i figure if i cant get any info on a company that makes something thats really unlikely to break im just gonna sell my rough country lift and buy a lift that doesnt make the track width much wider then stock. like a fabtech, bds or pro comp. not sure yet.