1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel alignment necessary with torsion key leveling kit?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Z71fanatic, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Z71fanatic

Z71fanatic New Member

I have a 99 silvy Z71 with Bilstein shocks all around. I'm looking at torsion key leveling kits to level out the front and fit 33's. I would love to go ahead and buy the lift now but i dont have all the money in hand to pay for the keys and an alignment. I've read on some of the descriptions of the keys that wheel alignment is either "recommended" or "should be watched carefully for 6 months for uneven wear, etc." Any help i could get with this would be awesome.
  2. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

You need to get an alignment after you put a leveling kit on.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on the alignment.
  4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X3,on the alignment
  5. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

I didnt get an alignment, and mine rides straight as it did before. Had the keys on there for about 3-4 months and dont see any wear on my tires. Then again, after I get rear blocks and max out my keys, I'll probably align it just in case.... as tires are much more expensive then an alignment and worth the investment.
  6. bacol14

bacol14 Rockstar

x4 on alignment. It can have issues in alignment without feeling like it. Camber and toe can often be off and go un-noticed while ruining your tires.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X5, get the alignment.
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

X6 on getting the alignment. On any IFS, raising the frame/suspension, will change the camber, & changing it changes the toe in because it changes the steering geometry.
  9. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well crap, looks like i'm getting an alignment.
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Lol, think of it this way, you pay at bare minimum $600 for tires, twice that if you have 33" all terrain tires, so you are just protecting your investment.