1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel and Tire Care

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by KyleZ71, Sep 25, 2012.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

As we most know, its almost pointless to spend hours cleaning and waxing the truck only to have our wheels and tires looking like well....
    So I wanted to share what I use and how I like it.

Tires- For the tires I tried many of shines. The Armor All sprays, the Turtle Wax Black spray that lasts for months, Eagle One Gel, Mequires Hot Shine to the Black Magic Tire Wax. But what I fine works the best is Girrots Garage Tire Dressing. You can apply this by sponge to any of your black components and the shine lasts for a long time. If you want a wetter look, just use more. All it goes a long way.

Wheels- There are so many wheel cleaners out there and my father and I spent so much trying so many, only to find out the car wash and water does almost as good as a job (as most of you know). But sometimes the wheels (OEM) get stained or you may want them shinier, and the solution is in your Tool Box. WD-40. If you use a harsh acid cleaner and your wheels have these white streaks all over them, or their is a haze, WD-40 will remove most if not all while leaving your cleared wheels looking great.

I hope my little rant my help some of you guys out. Either take or leave my advice but just thought I'd throw it out there. Have a great day!!
  2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Also feel free to add what works for you. Would love to give something else a try if it works for you
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I keep it really simple and cost effective..... A degreaser that is dyed "Green" in color is usually safe for 90% of the wheels out there and will rid the tires of allot of crud. I can get that stuff by the gallon for about $10-$20 and it lasts me almost 2-3 years unless I am washing weekly because it is a concentrate.

In times where it is really bad, I will use a "purple" dyed degreaser. The purple color is in "most" cases is used to identify a corrosive acid based degreaser.

co55.jpg

The purple degreaser will pull everything off the wheel (including the finish) if you are not careful. It will also leave a burn mark on your skin if it splashes on it and you do not wash it off immediately.
  4. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

This is the stuff I use to clean my wheels and tires. It works WONDERS!!! Best thing about it, the product does the work for you. No need to scrub with a brush.

I've found it works best when you have tire shine on your tires, and go on a dirt road. When the dust sticks to the tires and standard washing with a brush can't get that brown color out of the tire. This stuff will do it!

http://www.eagleone.com/a2z-all-wheel-and-tire-cleaner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML9d8VXo-hs
  5. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

^^^ agree, I love eagle one, its amazing... Its a small bottle for like 6 bucks, but I still use it to detail cars because I can't find anything that works better.
  6. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

I happened to get lucky. Found it on sale at advance auto couple weeks ago for $4.99
  7. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

Yeah, it goes on sale sometimes, but the amount of it that I buy, I should just contact Eagle One directly... You can get it at Walmart sometimes for like 4.97 if they have it in stock.
  8. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Thank you for the advice, sounds like you've tried a lot of products. I try to wash my wheels weekly and just end up using the car wash soap I used to wash the truck. I know it will be the least abrasive and I don't have to worry whether I'm cleaning the stock or aftermarket wheels. I'm still on the hunt for a tire dressing product so I'll definitely take a look into "Girrots Garage Tire Dressing"
  9. roger97338

roger97338 Member

I use Westley's Bleche White to clean my tires. If the white letters are scuffed, I'll use some steel wool or an SOS pad on them. Once I'm done washing, I apply Armor All to the tires with a sponge. My wheels are uncoated aluminum, so they get washed with the same soap as the body, (Mothers) and dried with the rest of the truck. When the wheels get dull, I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. I've found that it's easier for me to take each wheel/tire assembly off the truck and set it on the work bench when it's time to polish the wheels. I'm getting too old to be hunched over for that long.
    [h=2]Westley's Bleche Whit[/h]