1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wheel bearings

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by RyDogZ71, Sep 21, 2010.

1. RyDogZ71

RyDogZ71 Member

Is it hard to replace the wheel bearings on a 2000 1500 4x4? mine are on their way out, and im not sure if its something i want to replace on my own, or have it professionally done.

Thanks
  2. hundojoe

hundojoe Rockstar 100 Posts

If you can change your oil and or rotate your tires, do a brake job its not really that hard. Jack up the truck and put on jack stands. Safety first. Pull off your wheel, then you will have to remove the brake caliper and rotor, use a piece of wire or coat hanger to keep the caliper from hanging from the rubber brake hose. Then unhook the abs wire from the bearing. Then take off the dust cap in the center of the hub, behind this is the axle nut its a 36mm, remove this with an impact gun, if you dont have an air compressor it will be easier to remove this axle nut before you pull the caliper off, and have someone step on the brakes while you loosen it with a breaker bar, then with that off its 3 metric bolts on the backside of the spindle[ cant exactly remember the size its 13, 14, 15 mm] remove these and the bearing should be free. Might have to use a hammer to help loosen it from the spindle and or use a 3 jaw gear puller. if you get it removed then reassembly is just the opposite of removal, also its never bad to have a repair manual around just in case. And just a side note, buy the good american bearing as the chinese bearings tend to fail after a year or so, then youll be doing it all over again.Good luck hope this helps.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What hundojoe said and I would buy a Haynes service manual from a parts store like AutoZone. They don't show or tell you everything but they get you in the ballpark. And they have PICTURES.
  4. RyDogZ71

RyDogZ71 Member

Thanks a lot! Now ill have a weekend project! Haha
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Not even close the first one should be less than a 2hr job and the second much faster. Good luck but its pretty quick and easy. Let us know how it goes.
  6. RyDogZ71

RyDogZ71 Member

Just did those front hubs yesterday, and all went well. Truck rides really quiet and smooth now!!
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

And you saved yourself $100-$200 in labor alone! glad its all good now.
  8. RyDogZ71

RyDogZ71 Member

Well those hubs are toast after only 7 months. I went to have the truck aligned after installing a leveling kit, and he said he couldn't do it since the hubs were so bad. I got the hubs from Summit Racing, and they are made by Wheel Bearings Inc., here in the USA. Any suggestions on what brand to go to next? I know that Timkin is not where they used to be in terms of quality of their automotive bearings, so im not sure if i should just go to Napa, and get what they have or what. Thanks for your suggestions.
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've never had an issue with Timken. That's what I used on all the bearings for my drivetrain upgrade.
  10. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

could have just gotten a bad batch, it happens. I replaced mine with NAPA's brand. I have always had good luck with their stuff.