1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Finish peeling ~ 2010 Chevy Silverado Z71

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Coach24, Aug 6, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I have two wheels that the surface is corroding and peeling the plating off of. I spoke with my dealer but he thought it was odd as he has same and no issues, yet.
    Has any one else seen this issue. The ruck has never been off a marked highway or road(some dirt).

Would this be a warrantable item?

2. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I would definitely check into getting it covered under warranty. After all you do get a bumper to bumper warranty right? Are you still within that range?

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well paint surfaces are warrantied, but I dont know if they would consider wheel coatings to fall in that catagory.
    Corrosion warranty only covers rust through.
    I suspect it'll be a fight to get proper coverage.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I know some GM wheels use a Chrome cover on the wheel.. There was a post about this before..

5. Coach24

Yes I am still in range and that is why I posted here to see if a gm tech would post.

6. Coach24

These are the stock 2010 18" wheels . They have a cap but no beauty ring as the rim is where the peeling is occurring.
    Searched for other posts but could not find.

7. I have the 20 chrome clad rims and so far have had them replaced 3 times because they started to peel, should be covered under warranty.

8. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Coach24,

I'm sorry you are having this issue. This is going to be something that your dealer needs to see in order to know if it is covered or not. Have you set up an appointment with your dealer yet?

Evan, GM Customer Service

9. Coach24

Spoke with the dealer and he said he hasn't seen anything like it. Did not offer to warranty or even contact GM about it. Kind of like other issues he just doesn't want to deal with the NEw GM on warranty issues. Still leaves me confused.

10. baker111

baker111 New Member

Hello out there wondering if someone can help me? I have a 2011 2500hd with 26000 miles and the wheels are corroding on it and door handle chrome is pealing. One dealer told me it was due to a harsh cleaner and another dealer told me that the cosmetic warranty was void because I'm the second owner. Never heard of a warranty not being transferable. Customer service says that paint warranty is 1 year or 12k miles. who says thats paint isn't it a powder coat process on the wheels and plating on the handles?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013