1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Hub

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bzboardco, Jan 29, 2009.

1. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

My 02 Silverado is beginning to sound like it has mud tires on the front...could this be the wheel hub assy? I have checked the tires for cupping and damage etc. I couldn't find anything wrong plus they are fairly new.
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's the first thing I think of. I might jack up the front end and rotate the wheels by hand to see if I could hear/feel the grind while I'm in a position to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.
  3. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

When you're driving, if you turn does the noise go away or lessen? If so, it needs a hub. Also if you jack it up, put one hand on the top of the tire and the other one on the bottom and wiggle it and feel play in it, you need a new hub.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

After you get home from work or whatever get out and just put your hands on the center of the wheel it should be cool but if you can feel any heat then they are starting to go
  5. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks guys...The noise does stop when I turn left around a curve and there is play in the wheel. :grrrrrr: