1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel paint suggestions needed

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dadngt, May 6, 2012.

1. dadngt

dadngt New Member

Earlier this year I painted my wheels black which I think looks good but I am suffering a few scratches & will have a few days off soon so thinking about changing them up. Since my black doesn't really match the black of the truck nor look flat or matte, I was thinking about painting them with the graphite color wheel paint (Did this to my Mustang black to graphite & it covered & held up well with a slight change in color) The real suggestion I need is I don't want the wheel lip to be the same color I had left the stock silver on the Mustang & it looked good & helped when having a flat fixed, but I'm thinking about going with a red lip if I can find a high temp gloss red seems like everything is flat. Any suggestions on this matter? Thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Ever thought about Powder Coating?
    Looks real sharp and most powder coaters have many shades to choose from, not as expensive as you'd think either.
    I'm actually contemplating doing the backside of my factory wheels with a powdercoat in Chrome Yellow to match some pinstripe work I want to do on the body in the same color, should be a good contrast to my silver paint.
  3. dadngt

dadngt New Member

I would like to see pictures of that finished sounds cool & a different idea. I would actually perfer having them powdercoated because its a stronger coating than paint, but I can't find anyone locally, I've been thinking about getting my own powdercoating kit for this reason. I need to dig arround a little deeper arround here I'm sure there has got to be someone powdercoating. Thanks for the suggestion
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

A powdercoating set up isn't all that much money. For many the sticking point is the stove to heat up the powder. And No you can't just use your kitchen oven to bake the parts.
  5. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member

Poweder coating is def, the way to go. Paint is cool for color matching though.
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mine are plastdipped and the look the same as when I painted them over 8 months ago
  7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

I was going to say this same thing. It doesn't tend to be all the expensive and will hold up to heat and abuse. They can also do several different colors and can do the same thing to your edge you're looking at.

I know there are some powdercoaters that you can ship your stuff to and they'll ship it back, though granted that means you're without wheels in the interim.
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

I just did a set of 02 suburban wheels for my pickup, i got a medium scuff wheel for the drill some 120 and 220 grit sandpaper. Sanded them down really good and got all the corrosion off the rim. then i just used the rustoleum X2 paint series for the prime, paint and clear coat. Its all about prep. i dont think spending the extra money on the actual wheel paint is worth it plus they dont have as wide of color range and i couldnt find a matte finish clear coat either. so I primed really good then put on several thin layers of rustoleum canyon black satin finish then 2 coats of matte finish clear coat. this was about a $20 project for all supplies and paint (and my time and elbow grease). i thought about powdercoating but it is about about 100 a wheel to get it done.....I am very happy with the results considering it was the first time i did it, you can check out how to vids on youtube thats what I did.
  9. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 New Member

Have someone powdercoat them! Shouldn't be more than 50 bucks a wheel and will last forever.