1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Polish

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 2wheelmudder, Apr 6, 2010.

1. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

So i haven't posted anything in awhile got to go home for Easter this past weekend for Easter and I got to see my baby, gave it a good wash, replaced my old spline lugs with new spline lugs cuz they rusted out, anyways my newr American Racing rims started oxidizing, i washed them the best i could and they still look not too good when you get up close to them, would a good wheel polish help with it? any suggestions? Thank you i decided to get a good pair of bfg at on some stock rims when i take it up to college this year so the big 33's dont get slashed in toledo and the rims wont oxidize anymore, cept my dad gave away the stocks so i got to try to get em back. Heres a few pics the last two of this weekend, heres the truck since last February till now:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26440&id=1511683232&l=69c937ee4b

2. 07silverado07

07silverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

they should polish up. get you a mothers powerball and some mothers polish. follow the directions on the bottle and they will come back to life. i had aluminum rims on my old ford ranger and this was all i did to polish them up and they looked brand new!
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I'd go with the Black Magic Bullet... It uses microfiber instead of foam... I've never been a fan of foam polishing products... Just my $0.02...
  4. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That is an excellent product, personally I use Armor-All's spray on but my truck has stock wheels.
  5. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It just so happens I got the Black Magic Bullet kit today.. I'm about to go do the wheels as soon as I get off here. I'll post some before/after pics and we'll see how it does. It sounds like your wheels are in the same shape as mine so it should give you a good idea.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. Springthing

Results may vary..?...

Well, the Bullet didn't do wonders with the wheels. I followed instructions... applied with dry, clean cloth, buffed out with the bullet and.....well, here you go. I'm sure my wheels need some help but even then, I was hoping for a little brighter/cleaner finish.

For comparison's sake I used the polish/cleaner that came with the Bullet and also used a regular all around metal polish/cleaner.

I started with..

[​IMG]

.......on this wheel.................

[​IMG]
  7. Springthing

....and I got this result for the polish that came with the bullet.....which I used on the bottom left 1/3 of wheel (bottom half done, top half not done):

[​IMG]

And, as a whole, here is what I ended up with....Bullet polish on bottom/left, general metal polish on bottom/right, untouched on top 1/3.

[​IMG]

The picture doesn't show much of a difference....well, in person it looks the same as on the picture.

It cleaned up the surface dirt but didn't seem to 'polish' by any means.

Like I said, results may vary. Maybe I didn't do it correctly but I seemed to understand the easy instructions pretty well and that was my result.

Good luck on your polishing!
  8. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Wow that stuff didnt do nuttin..How about some 2000 grit sandpaper & lightly wetsand them then buff them out..
  9. Joethepoolguy

Joethepoolguy Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

There is no substitute for old fashioned elbow grease. Mother's Power Metal polish works great. Just use a small soft cloth and do a small area at a time. It takes awhile, but when you are done, the time was well worth it. At most truck stops and at Home Depot they have cotton buffing wheels that you can put in the chuck of your drill and same some time,too. You will still have some hand-work, though. Make sure you get the wheels with several rolls of stitching. These will take alot more abuse than the single-stitched ones. Just my .02cents.
  10. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

alright well ill try the mothers when i get back home probably and post some pics, thanks everyone, and thanks for all the pics it helped out!