1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wheel question...fitment issue?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by HawaiiKid, May 29, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys,
    I'm lookin to get a set of 20 inch rims for my 03 Silverado, (4x4, Z-71), and I really dont want to have any fitment issues with a new set of rims. I looked at the stickied chart at the top of this section, and it says that the Silverado will fit 20x8.5s stock, but that I need a lift kit if the rims are 20x9, even with the same kind of tires (285/50R20s). Any one have some insight on this? Do I need more backspacing to fit 20x9s? I would love a quick response, I'm goin into the rim shop today. Thanks for all your guy's help as usual!!

2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If they have an offset around 25mm or greater they will be fine.

3. HawaiiKid

What if the offset is 18? These are the specs on this rim...

Size: 20x9
    Offset: +18mm
    Backspacing: 5.70"
    Rec. Tire Size: 285/50-20

And if I don't have full FULL range of turning radius, thats fine, I just dont want them rubbing every time I take or corner, or especially in the back wheel wells.

4. HawaiiKid

Wheel fitment? 03 Silverado?

Hey guys,
    I posted most of this in the wheel/tire section, but since its a question of fitment on a 03 Silverado, I figured this would be a good place to post up too. I'm lookin to get a set of 20 inch rims for my 03 Silverado, (4x4, Z-71), and I really dont want to have any fitment issues with a new set of rims. I looked at the stickied chart at the top of this section, and it says that the Silverado will fit 20x8.5s stock, but that I need a lift kit if the rims are 20x9, even with the same kind of tires (285/50R20s). Any one have some insight on this? Do I need more backspacing to fit 20x9s? I would love a quick response, I'm goin into the rim shop today. Thanks for all your guy's help as usual!!

Some one responded that I would need around a 25mm backspacing...the rims I want have these specs:
    Size: 20x9
    Offset: +18mm
    Backspacing: 5.70"
    I am lookin to get the 285/50R20s on them also if that helps....oh, and the are Mamba M1s. Tirerack says they fit my vehicle, but I wanna make sure by asking the experts, aka you all. Thanks for the help!!

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the shop cant give you a solid answer or know right off the bat, then its a shop I would stay away from. yes alot of guys on here can give you the right answer but a quality shop should know this as well.

6. HawaiiKid

Only thing is I'm goin through tirerack.com. They have by far the best price on these rims, and the tires mounted for free. Also, the shipping is less than the tax that NY wants to drop on me, so thats a nice deal too. I called them and asked, they said no issues with fitment at all, but I wanted to see if anyone on here had first hand knowledge about it.

7. mad1500hd

mad1500hd Rockstar 100 Posts

I have 285/50/20 on my stock 2000 suburban and i don't have any issues...don't know if the silverados ride a little different...i would think they would fit just fine...:glasses:

8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

*Threads merged*

Please don't double post in different parts of the forum. If you feel your thread would be better suited to be in a different section of the forum just ask one of the mods to move it.

9. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

18mm offset will probably work too, it's only 1/2" less than stock, plus the extra 1/4" of rim. Gives about 3/4" more "stickout" than my 20x8.5's with 31mm offset. At the very worst you may have to trim some plastic but I seriously doubt it, I say go ahead and get them.

10. HawaiiKid

Perfect, thanks! Im going to be ordering them tomorrow I think, I just am a little concered as far as the company's reputation goes, I haven't heard much about the Mamba brand. I looked around, and saw that there is a set of Helo HE835s that look pretty similar, so they are now in the running too.

And Mod, my bad...thought since they weren't exact reposts it would be cool.