1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Spacers And Towing?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MTM, Feb 1, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Okay I've heard so many different opinions on this matter. I've heard that they are bad to tow with because they strain your axle, also heard that it's just overall a bad idea to have spacers.

Mainly want to know because I am going to start hauling a camper around from time to time; it's 29' and has 700lbs on the hitch. So I just want to know if it's okay to haul it with the spacers or if I should take them off to tow? Any ideas?
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Are you using the bolt on spacers or the slide on style? I wouldn't trust the slide on style if I was just driving around the block at 5mph. The bolt on ones are strong, but you should really be asking the maker of the spacers what they recommend.
  3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you ever run a set of quality slip on spacers??

OP,

If it is 10mm or smaller of a spacer there should not be that much of a strain on the axles but if they are not wheel centric I would not run them in the first place. If you are having any doubts about pulling that load with spacers its best to just remove them. I ran Motorsports Tech custom spacers and pulled some heavy loads for a 1/2 ton and zero issues. They were wheel and hub centric and I had zero issues from them.
  4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do you not think that offset other than OEM for wheels dont add stress as well???

Its kinda hard judge something never trying it.....dont you think?
  6. MTM

They are 2'' Rough Country wheel spacers. I also have the same brand spacer on my 1/2 silverado but they are only 1.25'' and haven't had a problems but I do not tow with it. But now that I have a 3/4 I just want to know if they are safe to tow with. They are very heavy duty spacers, but don't want to take the risk of messing something up. I pull a small trailer but never anything close to the weight of a camper.
  7. RSMark5

RSMark5 Member

8. MTM

Well I think I've got my answer. I couldn't see how it would be any different than aftermarket wheels and its really not a lot of weight. Thanks for all the ideas from everyone