1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Spacers then...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nottmbantam, Apr 9, 2014.

1. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Folks,

Current truck is a 1996 GMC Suburban K2500. Wanted to get a suspension lift, but struggling to find anyone out here to do it. (I'm in Saudi Arabia ) . Was thinking of getting some bigger tyres. Currently on standard 16" rims withy 275 size tyres. Could go up to a 305 size tyre but thought about wheel spacers to give the truck a wider and a more aggressive stance.

Anyone used wheel spacers with standard size rims / pics of before and after / and any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have always been a bit afraid of wheel spacers. I understand that you are in an area where aftermarket rims with different backspacing may be hard to come by. Wheel spacers can eat up wheel bearings and other suspension parts. I don't think they are all that safe. Just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it! :)

3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Do it!!!!!!!! I've used wheel spacers many times. Wider is better.

4. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

A wheel spacer doesn't put any more stress on a hub or wear out suspension parts any faster than a wheel with a negative offset would. No need to worry.

5. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

No, they don't, but both kill front bearings. Anyway, for spacers thicker than 1/4" to 3/8" you need longer studs.

6. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE Member

Motorcitybolton.com has nice wheel spacers. I have 1.5" spacers and no need for longer studs. The work great! I recommend them. Got em in my rig

7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have 1/2 inch spacers on my rear wheels. My brother had 1 1/2 inch or 1 inch I'm not sure. Didn't really notice that much of a difference but then again I didn't look at it before only after. His was like a adapter type spacer. He sold the truck and they went with it :/

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Personally, I would not use them. I just don't like them. Like said above, they tend to eat wheel bearings.

9. nottmbantam

nottmbantam Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Right, a quick snap shot analysis, 4 in favour, two against and one advisory. Hmmm. Not quite a definitive answer. I suppose I could try them and take them off if I don't like them? Was thinking of around 2 inches. Would that be too much for a big heavy unit like the Suburban? Would be a much cheaper option than full suspension lift, and new set of rims + new tyres.....

Thanks for the replies though - appreciated for a complete novice like myself.

10. 96GMCSLE

96GMCSLE Member

A friend of mine, who is a mechanic, says that he has not seen wheel spacers in a long time till he did my brakes. He said it makes more sense to buy rims with the negative offset rather then buying wheel spacers but with that said my spacers were only $89 a pair compared to $600+ for a set of rims. All depends on what kind of funds you have and what you want. Low budget build I'd get spacers and save for the rims but that's just me haha