GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

wheel stud replace

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nabisco_12, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

ok I got a flat and put on the spare then got the new tire fixed and swapped them again. no one told me that i had re torq since there aluminum.... needless to say it broke off a stud and F'ed my wheel.:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:

what all do i need to do to replace the studs? The dealer said i could do it with out taking to rotor off maybe?

lmk guys i am a weekend warrior had have decent skills, i have done the front brakes on my 96 3/4 ton and some tools. lmk what i need i will lose 2 days of work:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:

what size wheel studs do i need? guess there r 2

thanks!

2006 z71 4x4 1/2 ton
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

I have never done the front studs... but the rear ones are easily replaced with a punch and hammer. Also, when ever you pull an aluminum or any rim it is a good idea to check the torques after 50 miles. I learned this the hard way when I was young... had all the lug nuts fall off one tire.... luckily the tire stayed on till I pulled in the driveway.
  3. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

yeah its the rear. my tire almost came off also.... i swore it was coming from up from....she saw it was flopping when we were taking it in, she said she thought that is y we were going...dammit

- - - Updated - - -

yea i pulled it apart.... it came so easy also! hopefully i can pop in the new ones and work tomorrow afternoon got worried for a min i broke 2 more suds... they popped right out
  4. expediter

expediter New Member

rim flane stud replacement

make sure you "align and seat" the new studs BEFORE you put back on the tire and rim