1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel Weights OMG!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ajarman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So I got new tires 2 weeks ago and I felt a little "hop" around 50mph but just thought it was nothing. This past weekend I was cleaning the truck and noticed some shine comeing from the barrel of the wheel. Them being flat black I was concerned and crawled under the truck and to my amazement the wheel was not scuffed, but just a bunch of sticky wheel weights.

Here is what was taken off my driver side rear wheel.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow that will throw off your wheel balance. We're they all together like that or we're they stuck on in various places???
  3. ajarman

They were stuck all over the place. Some places were 3 and 4 deep.
  4. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 New Member ROTM Winner

It looks like whoever balanced your tires had no idea what they were doing.
  5. Dana W

Dana W Member

Holey Moley. You'd think the balancing machine would have uprooted itself and walked out the door when it initially was spun up with no weights.

Looks like a case of Sasquatch adding TOO MUCH weight EVERY time the machine indicated a spot. Sasquatch Dictionary - 1/2 means 'one or two'.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That's pretty amazing. I know you mentioned those were taken off of one wheel; how were the rest of them. I'm assuming you'll be checking the balance on them soon. I'll be interested in hearing how many weights are needed the second time around.
  7. ajarman

The tire that had all those weights was "defective" and Toyo replaced that tire. New tire called for 3.75 ounces and the other 3 tires on the truck appear to have around 3 ounces of weight.
  8. mfleetwood

You'd think person who balanced your tires would have figured out something was wrong when he/she was added 10lbs of lead. You always seem to have an interesting story brewing someplace.
  9. ajarman

Nothing goes perfect for me EVER!
  10. mfleetwood

Yeah...but you've learned much through all of your challenges. Heck, in way I even think you thrive on it.